Motor start question

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Re: Motor start question

Postby Kisssys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am

In log 374 you look OK, in 373 you have no XY gyro.

If you look at the IMU_RATEX_LOG when it's sitting on the ground, doesn't have to be level, the rate should be zero. The normal analog output of the sensor should be about 1.35 vdc.

Didn't we go over this month's ago or was that somebody else.
Attachments
xyIMUrate.JPG
XYgyroOut.JPG
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 am

Hi Steve, thanks for looking at this.

I think that must have been somebody else a while back.

So by the look of it, I have an intermittent fault where the XY gyro doesn't get the correct voltage so isn't initialised correctly. I have looked at some older logs where I had flips on takeoff, and they all display the same low voltage on the XY gyro. On successful flights, the voltages for all 3 gyros are where they should be. At least it hasn't lost control while flying I guess.

Is this something that would require a board replacement or repair? Sending it back to Flyduino in Germany is going to take ages... argh.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby Kisssys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:36 am

Hi Glenn,

After I posted I looked and sure enough it was somebody else. I don't have any rate gyro's and I looked and can't see anyplace to buy one in the US. The gyro itself maybe ok and can be removed and and resoldered with great care. The IDG-500 is very small and takes a microscope to work on the pins. The IC does have a slight rise up the side of the package that you can with 2 pins and a ohmeter and see if they are connected. I have taken solder paste on a pin and put it on the pin and then heated it with a small tip iron and gotton the solder to flow under or up the side a little and make a connection. That of course doesn't fix a solder bridge that may be underneath the chip.

If you can take a magnifying glass, take a look at all the pins around U14 the IDG500 and see if anything looks unsoldered. There are 28 pins on a 4 x 5 mm package.

I would contact Viacopter and get their recommendation. I would try to fix it but I don't have the parts at this time. I don't know where you are but a place that reworks boards might pull, clean the pads and replace it for you, surely with no guarantee.

Good Luck
Steve
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 am

I've had a quick look at gyro and there are no obvious solder bridges or legs which aren't connected, but I don't have a magnifying glass or microsope to look all that closely, and it's too risky for me to attempt to do anything with myself.

I've just done some more bench testing and at least I can see whether the XY gyro has initialised correctly by looking at the live telemetry values. It seems that about 1 in 4 times it will have low voltage and not work correctly.

I'll contact Viacopter and see about getting a replacement. Thanks for your help.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Previous

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller