[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Copter took off at full throttle in PH

Copter took off at full throttle in PH

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Re: Copter took off at full throttle in PH

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Glenn,

I feel your pain with the vibration issue. The AQ is clearly more sensitive to vibration than other FCs I've use, and it drove me nuts with the first AQ copter. I tried isolating the board in a couple different ways, but that only made it worse, so I eventually had to use the anti-vibration motor mounts, combined with dynamically balancing the motor/prop combinations to stop the problems. I have two copters flying pretty well now, with no vibration issues that I'm aware of.

I don't recall. Do you have the grommet mounts?

Rusty
13brv3

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm

I don't have the grommet mounts, but I might have to consider getting some. Was going to place an order for a few more bits from you in the next day or so anyway.

Do you have the FC hard mounted to the center plate? How tall are the standoffs you're using?
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby mr_westie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Attachments
ss2.jpg
ss1.jpg
mr_westie

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 am

One is a UAP1, which necessitates the FC mounting plate also. The standoffs under the FC plate are 3/4", and the ones under the FC and GPS are 1/2".

IMG_1085-large.jpg
IMG_1085-large.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 11469 times

The other is a UAP2, which has 1/2" standoffs under the FC and GPS.

IMG_1083-large.jpg
IMG_1083-large.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 11469 times

Rusty
13brv3

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Once my new prop balancer arrives I'll see if that solves the problem, and if not I'll get a string tied around the arms.

mr_westie, I'm not sure how to make use of the resonant throttle position info?
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby mr_westie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 am

mr_westie

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:06 am

The new gemfan 11x4.7's seem to be doing the job nicely. I've got a du-bro balancer now, and have all the props as perfectly balanced as possible. I didn't bother to balance the hubs yet, they're all heavy on the side that they were injected from. They were a long way off balance to begin with though.

Position hold didn't give me any weirdness, and even giving full throttle in manual mode doesn't look to saturate the ACCs now, although it did look to clip the motor outputs slightly, but I'm not sure if this is normal since I was giving it full throttle.

-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby Max » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:49 am

IMHO the plastic/cf mix Gemfan props are a waste of time and money. I'll send you a bunch if you want 'em. :)

You're on the right path with careful balancing. But unbalanced hub is not a balanced prop. The prop should stay in any position you stop it in when on the balancer. And yes those hubs are horrible... often you can see how far off-center the holes are.

Lastly, I had to throw half of those props away because they would loose tracking when under any load. Bad for any flying vehicle, but truly horrible on MRs.

The full-carbon Gemfans are quite nice OTOH. VERY stiff. Better and more consistent than the wooden JXFs I've tried (the JXFs had only one decent prop out of every 3 in my batch of 18 in 3 different sizes). The carbon ones have almost no "transition point" vibrations at all (don't know if that's the right term for it... the point where the prop really starts biting and the blades tips want to lift up, very obvious on plastic props and even the JXF woodies).

For plastic props, since Graupner is out for now, I'd stick with APC, especially the E types, as they're stiffer.

Props are vital. My Y6 can go from "great" to "bleh" just by changing out the make/model of the props, even when they're all perfectly balanced. Very obvious in the graphs too.

-Max
Max

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:01 am

Hmm yeah I should have probably stopped trying when I saw that the included shaft adapters don't actually fit these props at all... They seem to have a different finish compared to the old 11x4.7 plastic/cf mix gemfans I bought a year ago too.

I've had good results with these props before, but haven't used them on a copter (anywhere near) as heavy as this one. I'll balance the hubs out anyway and maybe do some testing to see how well the blades track under load.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Previous

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller