remote magnetometer?

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

remote magnetometer?

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Greetings,

Have there been any thoughts/plans to allow the use of a remote magnetometer? The number one problem I can see is maintaining alignment with the main board, but hopefully a relatively brief calibration step could take care of that.

The problem of course is that everyone wants to stuff everything they own in the center section of the copter, and at least half of that stuff interferes with the magnetometer. I really like the way DJI puts the GPS antenna and magnetometer in a separate module that can be located away from all the interference, and I'd love to see something like that for AQ.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3

Re: remote magnetometer?

Postby Kisssys » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi Rusty,

I don't think it's in the near future but I know the remote GPS has been looked at in the past.

Their is more than just heading information derived from the magnetometer so for it to have the same weighted value it does now to the UKF then it needs to be mechanically tied to the other sensor's during calibration and flight.

It seems like a good idea though, and I'd bet money Bill has explored it.

Cheers
Steve
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Re: remote magnetometer?

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments. I knew it wasn't as easy as it sounds, but it would sure be nice. Maybe I can make a new line of AQ frames that have a little mother-in-law suite for the FC board :-)

Rusty
13brv3

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller