New AQ build - flips after take off

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Re: New AQ build - flips after take off

Postby nikivan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:39 am

After each setting change I always cycle the power, so this should ensure changes are taking an effect.
nikivan

Postby nikivan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Well, it turned out this issue is not over yet. I've got another flip yesterday, log file is enclosed. ESCs are now my main suspect. These are ESC32 and I've never calibrated them before, so I've tried that yesterday as well. When calibrating current limiter, #3 almost never completes the process. Basically at some point during higher power spool ups the ESC reboots itself (I can hear beep) and there is no more activity even though the ground station shows calibration in progress. I can reproduce this consistently. Very strange. I can observe somewhat similar issue with ESC #1, but it only happens once every 4-5 times. I'll try swapping ESCs around to see what happens. Your thoughts?
Attachments
013-AQL-flip.zip
(435.93 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
nikivan

Postby JussiH » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Do you have access to a Linux box...ESC calibration is not reliable in QGC at the moment. Peter is working hard on it.

Otherwise, you might be lucky and find your particular motor in the Motor DB in the ESC source.

Angel found that if he rotated the board 45 degrees and set the IMU_ROT parameter accordingly, the problem went away for him. Maybe you can try that...
JussiH

Postby LPR » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Nick

These instructions has helped a number of people.

If you're using the QGCS method of calibrating ESC32 here is some more information to make it a little easier to use.

You do not usually have to calibrate the ESC32 if your motor and prop combination takes less than 20 amps. To have maximum performance calibration is necessary

After many tries to calibrate with the windows QGC I found it does work but a few things have to be done a certain way.

1. Flash the ESC32 with the newest firmware.

2. Set the calibrate amps a little lower or at the maximum amps your motor will use with your prop and battery.
Don't bother setting the Max amps in the upper right hand corner till after you calibrate.

3. Now run the calibrations. If the motor stops while making an odd noise or loud noise you should run the calibration again with a lower calibration amp setting.

4. After calibrating both the RPM and the current limit you must recycle the power to the ESC32. Make sure you unplug the main power to the ESC32 first and then the MC if it is powered separately.

5. I close the QGC, then plug in the USB, then connect main power and then restart the QGC.

6. Now set the Max amps at the same setting as you had for calibrate amps or less, but not higher.

7. I find you can test the calibration by starting the motor and then increase the RPM by moving the slider and then click on "Set RPM".

8. If the motor will jump from start to full throttle without disarming the ESC32 has been calibrated with a low enough amp setting to not disarm in flight.

The reason the ESC32 will disarm is because with a two high max amps setting the motor can not change RPMs fast enough to keep from loosing sink with the ESC32 so the ESC32 disarms to keep from hurting the motors or the ESC32.

9. If the motor stops when testing, recalibrate at a lower calibrate amps and test again.

Your motor will draw more current if you fly in very cold and dry air. If you don't fly in cold weather using an amp setting the same as the motor takes at maximum throttle should work ok and give the fastest change in RPMs.

Hope this helps.

Larry
LPR

Postby nikivan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks for the replies, guys, this is all good info. I don't have Linux machine, but I have Knoppix boot CD some where. Will QGC work from a VM? What happens when the current limit is reached (ESC will reduce power or what)? With this build I see some spikes around 80A, but at hover the current is around 40A, so what would be the ideal number to use? Also, how do you select the correct advance timing? The default I believe is 15, but perhaps it needs to be changed for this motor (Avroto 750kv) & prop (e-prop 12.6) prop combination? BTW, I've temporary installed the AQ board on another (smaller) frame and it works fine. So, it must be something going on with the heavy lift build.
nikivan

Postby LPR » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 am

Nick

If your motor and props can take over 20 amps at full throttle your ESC32 will disarm with default settings. The QGC will calibrate your ESC32 just fine if you follow the instruction I just gave you.

When you calibrate you must not set the max amps greater then your motor and prop will take at full throttle.

Default setting for calibrating the ESC32 is 30 amps and if your motors and props take 28 amps then you must lower the calibration amp setting to less than 28 amps.

If you do not lower the amp for calibration your ESC32 will disarm during calibration.

Larry
LPR

Previous

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller