Board lets out magic smoke

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Board lets out magic smoke

Postby jave-mtr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi,
I was trying to set up one of our AutoQuad boards today. Since I wanted to power my receiver on PWM output 14, I soldered the little bridge there so that +5V would be on the middle pin. But when hooking up battery to the AQ, I only measured +1V on that pin and the receiver was not being powered.
I then went on to check the output of the voltage regulators and during that process the board started smoking. I was being very careful not to short anything with my probes, so I'm not sure what happened.
Anyway, I can't attach pictures because the site is complaining about the links because I am a new user. So what should I do now? It looks like the two small surface mount components between the GPS unit and the forward edge of the board blew up, next to the GPS antenna port.
Thanks, Jan
jave-mtr

Re: Board lets out magic smoke

Postby jave-mtr » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I'd really appreciate if someone from the project could contact me regarding this issue....
jave-mtr

Postby sandmen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Send a e-mail to the shop where you buy the board.
sandmen

Postby Kisssys » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Jan,

You need three post's I believe before you can attach anything. If F4 and R27 burnt up you must have done something very special I would think.

Was the GPS ant plugged in?

Post to this and then I think you'll be good for pictures.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby jave-mtr » Fri May 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Ok, I think posting pictures works now, so here are some shots of the damage! The components R27 and F4 are definitely burnt up, I can't see any other damage on the board. But of course I'm hesitant to connect power to it. The GPS was not plugged in when this happened.
Any recommendations how to proceed from here? Thanks a lot!
jave-mtr

Postby Kisssys » Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 pm

I would venture to say you board had reverse voltage applied. R27 limits current to the GPS ant and F4 goes to the output of the gps time pulse. Neither of which should ever burn up with the gps ant disconnected.

Contact your vendor and hope they are very very nice.

Cheers
Steve
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller