[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - No GPS lock

No GPS lock

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Re: No GPS lock

Postby chschmid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Hey Glen

nice machine :D.

Larry is right.
I had succes with tuning manual first. I adjusted "full bank" in manual with tilt rate d and tilt angle p till the quad did not over/under shoot anymore. The following nav flights where perfect.
Before I did that I had an overshooting crash while RTH the 3rd or 4th time.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 am

Hi Christof,

Thanks, I'm wondering now if the Y6 is the best frame config for this purpose. Ideally I would like something that is a little more efficient on batteries and will lift a Nex5 on a brushless gimbal. It may even end up as a quad with dual batteries, but I'll give it a good go as is. The Y6 definitely looks and sounds nice, and the theoretical redundancy appeals.

Can you please explain a little more clearly about the 'full bank" tuning in manual? Do you mean you bank it fully over, and you're looking to see if it over or undershoots the angle that it initially holds, or is it something else? I'm guessing more tilt angle p will increase the speed it gets to the angle. What effect does changing the tilt rate d have in the full bank test?

Cheers
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby chschmid » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 am

chschmid

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks, do you have a clip of a log of yours available to share? I'm just curious to see what the log from a good working setup looks like so I can check it against my own to see where the differences are.

I'm quite interested in the ACC values, as these should show if the system has a vibration problem, and also to see what the motor outputs look like.

Cheers
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby chschmid » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi Glen

Here you can hear the clipping.

I added two pdf's with and without/less clipping.

Best
Christof

Tuned.pdf
(595.75 KiB) Downloaded 524 times

not tuned.pdf
(251.77 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
chschmid

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks, I'll get stuck into some tuning tomorrow.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby Max » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Max

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks Max,

so today I turned the rear motor pair about a degree anticlockwise. This has brought my mot_yaw down closer to 0 and evened up the work done by the motors. I'll turn it a little bit further tomorrow to get it right around 0. I also tidied up the wiring layout. There were a couple of torroids on the ESC cables resting on the shelf the AQ is mounted to, which could have potentially bounced and amplified any vibrations, so they've been secured.

I thought I would give Larry's idea a go, so changed my motor mix table so that the roll pairs of motors were both +/-50 instead of 100, and then went back to closer to standard PIDs. I kept the tilt rate D at 4500, but using 60 for tilt angle P oscillated quite a bit, but it feels quite good at 35. I reduced tilt angle D to 1644 and it improved further. Is power definitely limited by having lower mix values? I might try going back to the +/-100 mix tomorrow to see if balancing up the yaw hasn't helped with that too.

In the tilt test if I give it full roll stick, it will reach a precise angle (not sure how to tell how much?) and holds it without problem, but if I let go of the stick, it will oscillate slightly sometimes when it gets back to being flat. Sometimes if I threw it one way hard, then hard the opposite way it would almost look like it would overcorrect (but never crashed) Motors aren't clipping, but mot_pitch is closer to than mot_roll.

Some pics of the build - All the ESC's and high current stuff is down the bottom, the middle tray is pretty empty apart from a 12v buck converter for the LEDs and fpv cam, and my frsky rx. I wonder if the RX would be affecting the AQ board by being below it. It could be relocated. I have a 3DR radio on one of the other leg clamps, but I think everything's fairly well separated.

-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby LPR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Glen

I'm surprised that you have oscillations with default tilt angle P. Looking at your pictures is see that I would lower the AQ board for two reasons. One is that standing on top of the tall standoffs can amplify the vibrations the AQ sees and two is if you flip the Y6 your AQ board is likely to take a hit.
The motor mix and the Tilt Angle P control the amount of change in the signal to the ESCs for controlling Tilt. Lowering your motor mix numbers or lowering Tilt Angle P will lower the amount of motor response to control Tilt.
On my copters needing to lower Tilt Angle P meant I needed to reduce vibrations that are getting to the AQ board.

Larry
LPR

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 am

I've lowered the top level by 15mm now by using standoffs half the height I was before. I also pulled all the props off, and rebalanced the bottom 12x6's which were all off a bit. I have also relocated my radio Rx onto the spare leg clamp.

I have kept the motor mix at +/-50 for roll, and balancing the props better has helped, but I still can't seem to use a high tilt angle P. I tried the +/-100 mix, but couldn't get it to feel good, even after taking the PIDs way down.

Current settings, which seem to work reasonably well are:
tilt rate d: 4300
tilt angle p: 32
tilt angle d: 1544

When throwing it side to side in quick succession, sometimes it will overcorrect to what looks like 45/50 degrees. It's not 'ninja' stable, but it's not bad either. I'll take it out to a more open space and see how RTH goes later.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

PreviousNext

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller