[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - No GPS lock

No GPS lock

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

No GPS lock

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 am

I've just done the maiden flight of my Autoquad powered Y6, and it went well after a bit of a sketchy start. First time up it seemed quite unstable, and when I let go of the sticks it took off forwards, but after putting it down and taking off again it flew stable. I could engage alt hold which bumped up and down a little.. I will need to tune the PIDs to get it perfect.

At the moment I am unable to get a GPS lock. The blue light just flickers faintly with the occasional bright flash. The GPS is mounted above the FC with plenty of clearance, and it's been sitting out under clear sky for over 10 minutes now. I see some other people had faulty GPS antennas, so I'm wondering how to check whether mine is or not.

The connection where the GPS plugs into the board seems to be clipped in properly.

Cheers
Glenn
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Re: No GPS lock

Postby LPR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 am

Glenn

The first time you have the GPS get a lock can take quite awhile. Just leave the Y6 outside for up to an hour and then after that you'll get a lock very quick.

Larry
LPR

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:30 am

Alright I'll keep trying. Thanks.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 am

One other thing I've just noticed while it's sitting still on the lawn at the moment, is that in QGroundControl, I see the artificial horizon bumping up and down quite a bit. The magnitude isn't huge, but it's pretty much constantly bumping around. Is this a problem?

So I've just been looking around in QGC, and in the mavlink messages from the GPS, it looks like it's getting the correct lat and lon. Fix_type is 2, and satellites visible is 255. Still no blue light after ~45 mins. I do have some tall trees on one side of my place here. I wonder how much that is affecting it.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 am

Tried giving it over an hour sitting at another location that doesn't have tall trees nearby, and still no gps lock light. I think something is not right.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby JussiH » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38 am

Pls post a photo of how the antenna is mounted. EMI from the board can cause this behavior. A groundplane between the FC and antenna is a good idea to improve reception quality.

Normally a lock should be aquired inside 30-45 seconds from cold start.
JussiH

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 am

Here's how it is placed

I can make a ground plane for it tomorrow to see if that fixes it
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby cm01 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:04 pm

I've used the autoquad shield for GPS antenna and connected the shield to ground.
After that I had a much better gps Signal.

Chris

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363799207.370390.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363799207.370390.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
cm01

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 pm

I've just taken the GPS off, and found that the outer sheath doesn't appear to be attached where it is soldered onto the antenna. The inner looks like it passes through OK. I guess that's why it wouldn't lock... Now to try and solder it up. Is this a warranty issue?
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby GoFaster » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm

I believe the outer sheath is only connected at the U.FL connector end (AQ side). Only the center feed is connected to the GPS patch antenna. Make sure the center pin at the connector isn't mashed and that it mates securely with the socket on the AQ.

Edit: the shield SHOULD be soldered to the antenna's PCB ground.
GoFaster

Next

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller