[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Problem with AQ rolling right on takeoff.

Problem with AQ rolling right on takeoff.

Info and discussion about the original AQ v6 flight controller

Problem with AQ rolling right on takeoff.

Postby epyonxero » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:52 pm

I just rebuilt my AQ hexa after the crash I had in December. At first the when throttling up the copter, which is a Y6 would only spool up 4 of the motors. Both motors on the right arm would not spin at idle (as if the copter was on an angle). Ive been using these ESCs for months before the crash but i went ahead and recalibrated all of the ESCs. Trying again, the motors now spin as expected but as soon as the copter leaves the ground it begins to roll right and I have to set it back down. The roll is always to the right and starts about half a second after leaving the ground, trim doesnt make a difference. I tried this indoors with a slow takeoff.

Next I went outside and attempted to take off a little faster and it appeared to work off normally, I landed and when I tried to lift off again it rolled to the right and broke a couple of props which is where I stopped.

I suspected that maybe the AQ sensors were damaged in the crash and no longer reporting an accurate level but from what I can see in the logs they are reading correctly, mtor output also looks normal. Id appreciate any ideas you all might have. Attached are logs #5 and #6 which are from indoors and #7 which is the outdoor flights. At the end of log #5 I picked up the copter and rolled it by hand to see what the sensors picked up.

EDIT: The two motors that seem to be acting up are connected to M9 and M12.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2317679/005-AQL.LOG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2317679/006-AQL.LOG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2317679/007-AQL.LOG
epyonxero

Re: Problem with AQ rolling right on takeoff.

Postby epyonxero » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:20 am

After playing with it some more while connected to the GCS it looks to me like the X Gyro is drifting. Starting the AQ while connected to GCS the virtual horizon was tilted 45 degrees, I reset the AQ and the horizon returned to level. I disconnected the GCS and tried to liftoff and hover, at first it flew level but as I continued it gradually began rolling to the right again. I reconnected to the GCS and the horizon was tilted and slowly twitching towards level, I repeated this and had the same results. So it looks like the gyro was damaged in the crash, the question now is can this be repaired or do I need a whole new board?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2317679/012-AQL.LOG

Gyro Drift.png
Gyro Drift
Gyro Drift.png (136.28 KiB) Viewed 9347 times
epyonxero

Postby bn999 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 am

You may have cracked a solder joint on the X/Y gyro. If you can get a small iron tip in there with lots of flux, you might be able to reheat the connection if that is the problem.
bn999

Postby JussiH » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 am

Otherwise, you can send the board to me, and I will repair it here - provided of course there has been no damage to the PCB.

I sent you an email.

Jussi
JussiH

Postby epyonxero » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks for the help, I shipped my board back to Denmark and it should be arriving there any day now.
epyonxero

Postby JussiH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi.

I have overhauled your board and tracked it down to a solder joint on the Gyros, both the X/Y and Z gyros had intermittent connections - probably as a result of the crash. I have redone the solder connections, and it seems to be working here on the table now. I will let it run for a hour and see if the drift returns, but after 10 mins I dont see any drift.

You did damage the board quite badly in the crash, so I cant completely guarantee that it wont develop other problems, but at least the whole IMU is working properly now. I would proceed with caution with this one - dont put it on a "vital" craft until you are sure there is no further problems with it.

Since it was an easy fix, this one is on the house, but I will ask you to pay return shipping on it. Send me an Email and it can be returned to you tomorrow.
JussiH

Postby JussiH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

OK, I may have spoken too soon. It turns out that the BOOT0 jumper is damaged and is not making connection to the MCU. The pins was bent quite severely as a result of the crash.

I will place a wire jumper to the relevant pin, but if that does not work, it will mean that the board cant be flashed with new FW...
JussiH

Postby JussiH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Ok, solved - you are gonna have to live with a small wire jumper on the backside of the board. I will glue it in place, so it should be working normally with this mod. I also replaced the serial and jumper pins as part of the fix.

Damn, this took longer than I had opted for...
JussiH

Postby epyonxero » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Thank you very much for your help Jussi. I know you have other projects going on and I appreciate you taking the time to work on my board. Email sent.
epyonxero

Return to AutoQuad 6 Flight Controller