ESC32 or Motor problem

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32 or Motor problem

Postby Skripo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:43 pm

I am trying to diagnose a problem without having to disassemble and desolder.

My quad keeps yawing and sometimes drops uncontrollably since I put it together. I recently noticed that one of the Sunnysky 2216 900kv motors sometimes does not spin up with the others until I give more throttle to make it go. Sometimes I even have throttle down and back up again.

Once I get up in the air, I sometimes hear one motor speeding up a lot to maintain hover. The 4 ESCs have been identically programmed, except 2 that are reversed, which the problematic one is not one of. I used default settings and am using a OP Revolution FC.

What tests, if any, can I do to isolate the faulty component before I start changing them? Is it more likely to be the motor or the controller?

Thank you.
Skripo

Re: ESC32 or Motor problem

Postby chschmid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:24 pm

What about prop slip? Are your prop nuts tightened well? I usally use a counter nut to make sure the props do not get loose.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Does the motor that doesn't start properly stutter when you try to start it, or just not spin at all?

I had one which stuttered, and would then sometimes start, but even after starting it flew, but it struggled. I swapped the ESC for another one and it's worked fine since.

I guess if you have another ESC, just swapping it out would be the easiest way to start.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby Skripo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm

It is not slipping. I did have an extra but it was defective.

Sounds like in most cases it's the esc. I am at Toledo on Friday, maybe someone will have some there.
Skripo

Return to ESC32