[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Unable to change settings, first time

Unable to change settings, first time

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Unable to change settings, first time

Postby dpetrillo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Hello, first time here..

I just got my ESC32 up and running. I successfully flashed a couple different versions of the firmware onto the unit, r32 and r42 using a flyduino usb-uart, QGC and Windows 7.

Out of the box and after flashing, I get blinking a red light. When I attempt to connect using the QCG to configure settings, it will not arm, load or read any settings.

I had to short the boot jumper the entire time in order to flash. Is there anything else I'm doing incorrectly that would prevent it from connecting?

I am interested in uploading a firmware that allows me to use 'Servo Mode' Does anyone have any information about servo mode? In QGC it says (v1.5+) Which revisions of firmware would that be?

Thanks,
Dave
dpetrillo

Re: Unable to change settings, first time

Postby LPR » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:28 am

You might try to flash r42 with out shorting the boot pins. r42 firmware does not need to have the boot pins shorted.

Were you able to connect to the ESC32 before you flashed new firmware?

Larry
LPR

Postby dpetrillo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:24 pm

I could not read/write settings or arm the esc out of the box. I've tried with R42 and R32 and R27 and QGC 1.3 RC2.1 and R1.

Dave
dpetrillo

Postby LPR » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:34 am

Dave

Try a different FTDI. I've had trouble with them. My PC has no trouble with FTDI and my laptop, also with Windows 7 has a lot of trouble with FTDI and ESC32s.
The ESC32 come with firmware so you should have been able to connect with the new ESC32.
Try a different computer also.

Larry
LPR

Postby dpetrillo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 am

Question: Do I need to have the esc connected to main power and a motor in order for it to arm and read settings from QGC?

Up until now I have been working with the esc with only the FTDI soldered on and the voltage selector set to V5. Would I also have to have a battery connected?

If I just wanted to use the esc with a servo tester to test out a motor, I would do the following?

1-Re solder the voltage connector to Vb
2-Connect the motor
3 - Connect the battery
4 - Connect the servo tester (this must be powered?)

Thanks,
Dave
dpetrillo

Postby LPR » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:52 am

Dave

Just use a working FTDI. The power from the FTDI will allow you to arm if you have the FTDI communicating with the ESC32.

You can power the ESC32 by soldering the jumper in the Vb position if you are using a 3s lipo or less to power the ESC32.

The ESC332 documentation does a good job explaining how to power the ESC32 here.

http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/esc32/esc ... are-setup/

With default setting in the ESC32 the input PWM signal must be between 750 and 1000ms to get the ESC32 to arm or you will need to change the setting for the ESC32.
My servo tester starts at 1024ms so I need to change the 1000ms setting in the ESC32 to 1025ms so it will arm.

Larry
LPR

Postby dpetrillo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey,

I just tried a second working FTDI and I get the exact same situation. Everything works for firmware updates, but does not work at all when attempting to read or set settings.

I'm at a full stop here with esc32, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
dpetrillo

Postby LPR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:31 am

Dave

I can only say try a different computer.

Larry
LPR

Postby Max » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Dave, just to verify, are you using 230400 baud rate for the ESC connection (in the ESC32 Settings window)? For that matter, are you connecting from that ESC32 tab, not the main QGC "Communication/Add Link" menu? After connecting (or trying to) does it tell you the FW version, or does it keep saying "not connected" (under the ESC32 Start Log button). What about the "connect esc32" button, does it change to "disconnect?" There should also be a short status display under the "load from file" button -- something like "Disonnected" or "loaded current config," etc, -- does this show anything? And of course make sure nothing else has the COM port open while trying to connect to ESC.

Sorry for the basic questions/ideas, but sometimes it helps to review the simple stuff.

-Max

rc1-esc32-controls.png
rc1-esc32-controls.png (16.37 KiB) Viewed 12782 times
Max

Postby KipK » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi guys

It seems I have the same problem here.

I can't connect to the esc using QGC, neither flash it. I can flash the esc using Stlink Flash Loader once I've shorted the pads.
I've burnt 042 and 046 firmware on it, same problm.
Esc32 just doesn't want to conenct with QGC.

Here come the strange part. I can connect percetly to the esc CLI using a terminal.
Using same 230400 baud like I've set in the QGC for esc32

I've tried with 4 different ftdi, 5v ones, 3.3vones, an arduino use as FTDI and some xbee shields that I use as FTDI for ages too.

I'm on windows 7 64. But I've tried with a Mac too & same problem.

What's so special with the QGC that could prevent it to work with some ftdi, because everything seems normal on the terminal CLI. I can see all the settings & commands.
KipK

Next

Return to ESC32