[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Modifying ESC32 firmware

Modifying ESC32 firmware

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Re: Modifying ESC32 firmware

Postby sandmen » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 am

sandmen

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 am

... DEBUGGING ... Did anybody mention 'BUGs' here?! We need to hunt 'em down :lol:

Hi,

well, although the STM discovery boards are affordable 'debugging' solutions I wouldn't spent my money on them.
Segger is selling their J-Link debugger - which can be used to debug any brand and nearly all ARM cores - for $49 for non-commercial use (it's called J-LINK EDU http://www.segger.com/j-link-edu.html).

So, go ahead, get one of them together with an OLIMEX ARM-JTAG-20-10 adapter (https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/JTA ... TAG-20-10/) and you have a hardware that's supported by nearly every IDE out there.

Kind regards
aBUGSworstnightmare

SANY0212.JPG
Segger J-Link EDU with OLIMEX 20-to-10 pin JTAG adapter

P.S. when looking for a free IDE you should also have a look at emIDE http://www.emide.org
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby JussiH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 am

Joerg, I have problem free operations of the ST-link on a discoveryF4 board. It just works, and is cheap as chips...
JussiH

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:31 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby Max » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:18 pm

I find this kind of artificial limit setting (eg. the number of breakpoints you may have in YOUR project) utterly insulting and absurd. Buying a device and then being told what you can and can't use it for? No thanks. Old business trying to hang on to their old ways. :roll: I'd probably look at OpenOCD at this point if I need to debug multiple MCU types.

-Max
Max

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 am

Hi,

don't get me wrong! It wasn't my opinion to start a discussion about JTAG/SWD debuggers. A lot of good tools were out there, so it's 'your choice' which one to choose.

When I go to my 'armory room' to get prepared for a new mission I have a vast array to choose from. But's that's because dealing with MCU's is my business. And: I also carry two discovery boards --> never told they're bad!

SANY0314.JPG
JTAG/SWD debuggers which supports STM32 MCUs

upper row, left to right
STM32F0 discovery, STM32F4 discovery, IAR JTAG lite

lower row, left to right
J-Link EDU, J-Link Ultra+, Crossworks for ARM

Those were only the ones which support debugging STM32 MCUs. The're more for i.e. Stellaris/Tiva, Fujitsu, ...

CONCLUSION: Choose whichever JTAG/SWD debugger you want to use, but keep in mind that not every debugger<->IDE combination will work!

Joerg
aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSworstnightmare

Previous

Return to ESC32