ESC32 broken after crash... cause or effect?

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32 broken after crash... cause or effect?

Postby johandm_be » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 am

Hi,

Recently my craft has suffered a crash and from the logs we determined it is a motor/ESC failure. We don't know which motor though.
I removed all motors and their ESCs and tested them on a bench setup. I found that 3 ESCs had a problem:

* One worked fine until I ramped up to 70% and then it started losing sync. It’s interesting that it did that because it was tested with exactly the same setup before I mounted it and then it was OK. Programming different timing parameters fixed this ESC. (see also my other thread in the forum "ESC32 with MAX_CURRENT set at 15A, but actual limit is more")
* One was hurt because of the crash: the pins were bent and they tore off some pads on the PCB
* The third one starts the motor fine when there is no propeller on it. If there is a propeller on it then it stops immediately (it hits the BAD_DETECTS_DISARM limit). This one was on the same arm as the 2nd one, so it is possible that it was also physically injured.

ESC#2 is clearly because of the crash.
I wonder about ESC#3 though: is it possible to determine what is wrong with it? And: can we determine if it is a failure that lead to the crash or is it a failure that was a consequence of the crash?

Thanks & kind regards,
Johan.
johandm_be

Re: ESC32 broken after crash... cause or effect?

Postby bn999 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Do you have a flight log of the incident that can be uploaded somewhere?
bn999

Re: ESC32 broken after crash... cause or effect?

Postby johandm_be » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi,

I have a .hj file which is the flightlog of the ZeroUAV (X6-YS) autopilot. But that can only be read using the ZeroUAV ground control station. I don't have any other logs. Do the ESCs keep a log?

I can step over the hj file and I see that in the last couple of seconds it reported an inbalance of CW/CCW power and then it lost its attitude and fell to the ground. The inbalance indicates that one motor failed. The copter was flying in GPS hold mode which rules out the possibility of a steering mistake.

kind regards,
Johan.
johandm_be

Return to ESC32