[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Cannot connect ESC32 to qGroundControl

Cannot connect ESC32 to qGroundControl

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Cannot connect ESC32 to qGroundControl

Postby w_covanich » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:05 am

Hello,

I am trying to connect ESC32 board to computer (windows 7). However, the ESC32 cannot be armed (red light keeps flashing) even after I pressed connect and arm button . I am using FTDI basic adapter ( FTDI Basic 5V - I cannot post a complete link because I am a new member ). I did not connect PWM signal, battery, capacitor to the board. All I did is to set the jumpter for power source selection to V5 and connect the FTDI basic adapter to FTDI port. I believe that the power from FTDI port will be used to power the ESC32 board. I just bought the board from Flyduino but I don't know what is the version of the firmware. I have tried to

1. Use qGroundControl ver 1.05 and 1.21.
2. Set the baud rate of the FTDI basic adapter to 230400 (Data bit 8, parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none).
3. Add a communication link in qGround Control.

Still the ESC32 board will not be armed.

Is the FTDI basic adapter compatible with the board?

Am I doing something wrong?

Any suggestion would be very greateful
w_covanich

Re: Cannot connect ESC32 to qGroundControl

Postby LPR » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Covanich

Welcome to AQ. You'll find this forum is quiet right now. Many of the developers are busy getting ready to be in Hanover on August 1.
I haven't played with the ESC32 for a while but I remember most of it.
Do a search for ESC32 on this sight to find a lot more info.

Depending on the motor your going to use connecting the QGC is not necessary to get your copter flying.

The ESC32 will work for most of the MR motors without doing a calibration if they use less than 20 amps.

Your ESC32 will arm if you connect the signal wire to the Autoquad board. To get the green led to light up all you need to do is have a PWM signal that is less then 950 ms. Many RC Tx/Rx will not go lower then 1000 ms but the AQ boards is made to work with the ESC32.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LPR

Postby w_covanich » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to find a controller which can do a closed loop speed control for BLDC motor. At present I believe ESC32 is one of the best candidate and I am trying to test the speed control performance of ESC32 and may have to tune the parameters P, I, and feed forward. Therefore, connecting ESC32 to PC is a must for me. I have try too look through the forum and it seems that there are few posts which have the same problem as I have. He managed to solve the problem by adding a communication link first. Another post solves the problem by changing the version of QGC. I have tried both but the problem have not been solved. I will be appreciated for any suggestion.

Wutthiphat
w_covanich

Postby Max » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Max

Postby w_covanich » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Thank you for your suggestion, I have tried using hyperterminal to connect to the ESC32 using baudrate 230400 (Data bit 8, parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none). It seems like ESC32 continously sending "0x07" to PC. I am not sure whether the problem is with the FTDI Basic 5V adapter since, I've just found out that STMF103 only supports 3.3V logic level. What type of FTDI cable do you generally use? Is it the 3.3V one? If I am using a 5V FTDI adapter, will it damages the ESC32 board?
w_covanich

Postby Max » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:34 am

Wutthiphat, from what I understand, the adapter would need to supply 5V to the ESC via UART connector, but signaling level should to be 3.3V. I don't know if the F1 series are 5V tolerant. I don't have any experience with the (Sparkfun?) Basic adapters, sorry. I mostly use a SiLabs CP210x based adapter and have never had any issues with that (5V supply, 3.3V signaling). Your terminal settings sound correct though I've never tried Hyperterm with Win7 or ESC32 (is there even a Win7 version?).

Cheers,
-Max

esc32-comm-example.png
esc32-comm-example.png (25.64 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
Max

Postby Kisssys » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:30 am

Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Return to ESC32