[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ESC32 connection in XP?

ESC32 connection in XP?

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32 connection in XP?

Postby 13brv3 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Greetings,

Max mentioned that I should start a new thread on this, so here it is. I have an old 32 bit XP machine in the workshop that gets used for 99% of all my multi-rotor stuff, and the only version of the GCS that I've ever been able to get to connect to the ESC32 is 1.0.5. Up until today, I just assumed that the newer versions didn't work for anyone, but I just tried a Win7 and Win8 machine, and they both worked fine.

Should the newer GCS versions (1.2.X and 1.3.X) work with 1.4.3 firmware on the ESC32 when using an XP computer? Since 1.0.5 does work, I can't see how there could be a problem with the hardware, since I'm using the exact same setup for all the tests. The FTDI adapter does have a high port number of 28 on that machine, which I know can be a problem for some programs. The port number happened to be 5 on the Win7 and Win8 machines.

Thanks,
Rusty
13brv3

Re: ESC32 connection in XP?

Postby Max » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi Rusty, thanks for clarifying the problem. Does flashing AQ fw work from your XP box (with QGC >1.0.5)? I wonder if there is an issue with the version of stm32flash that is included with the later QGC versions. To test it out, you could try taking the stm32flash.exe from the QGC 1.0.5 /aq/win32 folder (I think that's the name) and place it in QGC 1.3 aq/bin folder (replacing the one that's there, perhaps rename the old one first).

Is there anything else in QGC > 1.0.5 that doesn't work on your XP box?

Thanks,
-Max
Max

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Max,

The only limitation I've seen with communication was regarding the ESC32 (flashing, or even connecting). I haven't reflashed AQ firmware recently, but I'm pretty sure I was beyond 1.0.5 last time I did.

I was wrong about the port number in the first post. It was 39, not 29. For grins, I forced XP to use 9 instead of 39, and the ESC32 worked normally in 1.3.B2. To further test the theory, I changed it back to 39, and it wouldn't work. I then changed it to 43, and it still didn't work. Thinking it was something to do with a high port number, I changed it back to 9, and as Murphy would predict, that didn't work either. Finally, I changed it to 8, and it's working again. After that, I backed slowly away from the computer, and I'm declaring victory for now.

Unless any of this makes sense to you, I'm willing to believe it's just due to the old computer, which has had more than it's share of devices over the years. It's way past due for reload, but since it's generally working OK, I'm leaving it alone.

Thanks,
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Max » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:35 am

Max

Return to ESC32