[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ESC32 More Information on Calibration needed (SOLVED)

ESC32 More Information on Calibration needed (SOLVED)

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32 More Information on Calibration needed (SOLVED)

Postby chschmid » Sat May 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Gents

Today I was setting up the new Motors and Props.
AQ FW 100 Build 1068
ESC32 FW 1.4.1
Tiger Motor MN 3508 700
Tiger Prop 12x45
Lipo 4s
QGC 1.0.5
ADVANCE 15°
Other standard

After doing some calibration runs, 16Amps @ 4S was the max that produced values. All amps above came up with "NAN".
Writing these values to ROM, Setting Current Limiter to 20Amps and testing the Set RPM went well. @ full RPM I measured ca 16Amps.

Then I connected the ESC32 to my Testtool UniTest. @PWM1100 the Motor starts, was ramping up nicely but @ PWM 1700 and 13Amps it cut off. In one run it stalled around 1650.

How can I test the ESC32 and calibration for proper operation.

Thanks for all hints.

Christof
Last edited by chschmid on Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chschmid

Re: ESC32 More Information on Calibration needed

Postby chschmid » Sun May 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I am really stuck here.

I was trying to calibrate the ESC32 but for 5 Motors I only get results @16Amps, for one Motor @18Amps.
Anyway, the RPM test for all motors is going well. When attaching the ESC to the UniLog, the motors shut down @1600PW.

I tried standard ESC32 settings, but the Motors start to "go wild" above some 1600PW and shut off.

I did a "handheld" test with the hexa. When ramping up, it feels very stable at the beginning. Then, when some adjustments are needed, a random motor shuts down. Its the one with the highest PW.

I added a LOG and a short video.

I would be very thankful for any help, suggestion or direction to proceed.

Cheers
Christof
Attachments
001-AQL.LOG
(3.83 MiB) Downloaded 657 times
chschmid

Postby LPR » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 am

Christof

I played with ESC32 calibration for why too long to get them to not disarm.
This is what I came up with to help others calibrate ESC32.

If you're using the QGCS method of calibrating ESC32 here is some more information to make it a little easier to use.

You do not usually have to calibrate the ESC32 if your motor and prop combination takes less than 20 amps. To have maximum performance calibration is necessary

After many tries to calibrate with the windows QGC I found it does work but a few things have to be done a certain way.

1. Flash the ESC32 with the newest firmware.

2. Set the calibrate amps a little lower or at the maximum amps your motor will use with your prop and battery.
Don't bother setting the Max amps in the upper right hand corner till after you calibrate.

3. Now run the calibrations. If the motor stops while making an odd noise or loud noise you should run the calibration again with a lower calibration amp setting.

4. After calibrating both the RPM and the current limit you must recycle the power to the ESC32. Make sure you unplug the main power to the ESC32 first and then the MC if it is powered separately.

5. I close the QGC, then plug in the USB, then connect main power and then restart the QGC.

6. Now set the Max amps at the same setting as you had for calibrate amps or less, but not higher.

7. I find you can test the calibration by starting the motor and then increase the RPM by moving the slider and then click on "Set RPM".

8. If the motor will jump from start to full throttle without disarming the ESC32 has been calibrated with a low enough amp setting to not disarm in flight.

9. If the motor stops when testing, recalibrate at a lower calibrate amps and test again.

Your motor will draw more current if you fly in very cold and dry air. If you don't fly in cold weather using an amp setting the same as the motor takes at maximum throttle should work ok and give the fastest change in RPMs.

I take a screen print of the the calibration values and then uses a split screen to load values to the rest of the ESC32s.

Larry
LPR

Postby chschmid » Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Larry

Thanks a lot for your cal manual. I know your manual for quite a while and I already did that.
Yesterday I was trying to run an ESC32 in std mode just using the current limiter.
The Esc shuts off when the Motor is drawing more than 10amps regardless of parameters like advance, switching ect. The only thing I found was that lower switching frequecy allows a bit more current.
I start to believe that I have EMI causing the shutdown because my ESC sits right under the Motor and the Signal wire runs inbetween. I hope tonite I can check on that.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Re: ESC32 More Information on Calibration needed (SOLVED)

Postby chschmid » Mon May 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Today I was separating the motor and ran it some 50cm away from the ESC. The motors and ESC32 run as smoth as they can run. Very impressive torque.

I am not sure if the motor interferes with just the signal wire or with the whole ESC32.
Maybe a note in the wiki would help other multi designers to avoid the same mistake.

Mäx, I you read this, whats the distance in your reference hexa ESC32 - MN3110?

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby LPR » Tue May 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Christof

I thought you would have seen my manual but I was having a hard time understanding what your problem was. I'm having some similar problems with RC Timer's 50a opto ESC when I use over 5s lipos. They are rated to work with 7s but they randomly slow down as I increase the throttle with the AQ. I have asked SimonK to see if there's something he could do with his firmware.

Larry
LPR

Postby chschmid » Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Larry

In the beginning I did not know what caused my cal Problems as well :) . I had some (good) results but always with too low amps. The ESC32 tests went well, but somehow I was suspicious that something is wrong. Thats when I started to use the UniLog (instead of an RX) to test the Motors (with ESC32 uncalibrated) and thats when I found that at 1600PW the ESC disarms for unknown reason.

Sometimes it is hard to debug. Especially when the system ran well before.

I guess yo have your RC Timer's on a teststand well apart from ea other?

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby LPR » Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Christof

No, I had the quad flying very well with a 4s lipo. When I was trying to use a power tool 28 volt battery pack. I use diodes to reduce the voltage the AQ see to under 20 volts. At first I thought I had a problem like you with the PWM signals getting compromised by the high volt supply wires but after much testing I realised the firmware that was recommented and tested by SimonK was probably not tested over 4s. The ESCs work very well up to 5s but not 6s or 7s.

Larry
LPR

Postby chschmid » Thu May 09, 2013 6:14 pm

I did many tests to find the reason for ESC shutdown:

- shield ESC with copperband.
- shield motormount with copperband.
- shield signalwire with copperband below motor
- move ESC 2cm below motor.
- mount ESC perpendicular to motor.

My final findings after a lot of trial and error:
The powerlines to the ESC inside the tube generate enough induction above 3s and above 10amps to screw the signal. I do not know how much the specific MN3508 motor is involved.
I tested shielded signalwires with the shield attached to ground. This works flawless as expected.

It 's a lot of work to rewire all six ESC... So my recomandation for all ESC below motor constructions: use shielded signal wires.

Hope to have a (new motor) maiden this weekend.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby JussiH » Thu May 09, 2013 6:17 pm

You dont need to shield the wires, just twist them instead. This will significantly reduce the inductance potential.
JussiH

Next

Return to ESC32