[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Power Distribution Board with ESC mount

Power Distribution Board with ESC mount

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Power Distribution Board with ESC mount

Postby vman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi, I'm new in this forum and a new Autoquad user. I want to start with a Quad based on the ATG L600-X4 (12mm) frame. I have the Autoquad 6 flight controller and 4 ESC32. I was looking for a PDB (Power Distribution Board) where I can also mount the ESCs (I have in mind what Mikrokoper offers), because it makes the wiring much easier. I did not find any solution in the web or here in this Forum, so I started developing with my favorite CAD Tool (Target 3001).

In this thread I want to introduce my design and hope to get any comments or hints to improve it. If anybody knows a finished design I would also welcome evidence (if it is commercially available or can I use the CAD files).

Here is my Idea:
I have designed a round PCB with four mounting holes for the ESC32. The ESC32 PCB should fit perfectly in the hole and at the bottom and top border I have lands to connect the ESC32 lands with my PCB.

Board_3d_Top.PNG
Board Top View
Board_3d_Top.PNG (97.61 KiB) Viewed 10778 times

The motor cables can be soldered directly to the lands on my PCB and the ESC32 PCB.
There are 4 3-pin Headers for the PWM signals and also 4 6-pin Headers for a FTDI cable. Thanks to this I can (re) flash the ESCs in my PCB with no need to unmount them.

The complete bottom layer is connected to the Lipos V+, and the top layer to GND. I have 4x6mm lands on top and bottom to connect the Lipo.

There are 4 mounting holes with 45mm distance to mount the whole PCB on the frame.

I'm thinking about an additional jumper for I2C and CAN connection, but in that case I have to redesign the PCB. To have a big copper area for V+ and GND from the Lipo it is necessary to route the I2C and CAN bus at the border of the PCB. Actually there is not enough space for that so I have to move the holes for the ESCs away from the PCB border.

As I wrote in the beginning, any comments are welcome.

Thanks for your attention

Dierk
vman

Re: Power Distribution Board with ESC mount

Postby kinderkram » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Direk, we've often discussed the placement of the ESCs.

Conclusion: get them as far away from the FC as possible, best on the arms near or under the motors to get prop wash for cooling.
If you use a dome over the center plate you will also gather some heat there...
kinderkram

Postby vman » Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 pm

vman

Power Distribution Board with ESC mount V2

Postby vman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 am

I have updated the board last night. The changes are:

1. New PCB shape

2. optional heat sinks
Of course one can glue a heat sink on both sides of the ESC32, but I don't like this solution because it's nearly impossible to remove the heat sink without damaging the ESC. I have designed small aluminum plates that are screwed on both sides of the ESC. I will use some thermal grease between the aluminum plate and the LR7843. On that aluminum plate I glue a 19x19x4.8mm heat sink.

3. The board is prepared to use I2C instead of PPM. As I understand I2C is not working well at the moment with AQ, but maybe it will in the future?

4. Each ESC has a pin header to connect a FTDI cable allowing flashing and programming with mounted ESC's

5. Logic Power can be supplied via PPM input or separate 5V header (if used with FC's not providing power via PPM)

The board is in production now. I hope that I can test it in the next view weeks.
Attachments
AQPowerBoardV2.png
AQ Power Board V2
AQPowerBoardV2.png (54.57 KiB) Viewed 10625 times
vman

Postby aqchab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Nice Project - on the New Design i See no cap's C1 to C4 as on your First Approach
aqchab

Postby vman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks,
I decided to solder the cap's direct to the + / - pads of the ESC. For that there is a small hole to carry out a connecting leg of the capacitor. So the cap's are located at the main PCB to have enough space for the 3.5 mm motor sockets.
vman

Postby aqchab » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 am

do you have plans for octo version or just take two ;-)
will you sell the boat?
aqchab

Postby aqchab » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

maybe a idea do collect the 4 PWM Signal to one 4 pin Connector to go with 4pin Cable to FC - should limit spaghetti in cabling
aqchab

Postby vman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Good idea, I think about it. Actually I designed a 2 layer PCB with 70um copper. To feed the PPM to a 4 pin header it might be necessary to use a 4 layer PCB, which makes it more expensive.
vman

Postby vman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:13 pm

vman

Next

Return to ESC32