[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ESC32 disarms on rapid speed changes

ESC32 disarms on rapid speed changes

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32 disarms on rapid speed changes

Postby johandm_be » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi,

I am having an issue while trying to use the ESC32 with my 390KV 4225 motors (16 pole).

It works, as long as I don’t change throttle either too slow or too fast.
When I increase throttle very rapidly, the ESC disarms.
When I increase throttle very slowly, the ESC also disarms.
If I move throttle up and down in a smooth swing, everything works fine. Of course, in a multirotor it needs to be able to do rapid rpm changes.
I had prepared two video clips that show my problem, but unfortuntaly this forum does not allow a new user to include links to external sites when posting. :(

I cannot complete a current-limit calibration, because it does the same in the middle of the routine: at some point the ESC stalls and disarms itself.
I tried both the release firmware v1.4 and the “Version 1.4.1 Build 5251”.
The only settings I changed from the default in the ESC setup are:
Max current = 15
Motor poles = 16
PWM start min = 1100
PWM min value = 900
PWM low value = 1105

Is this something I can fix with any of the other settings? Should I be looking at the minimum and maximum commutation period setting? Or the switch frequency? And if so: how should I change these? Increase or decrease?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Johan.
johandm_be

Re: ESC32 disarms on rapid speed changes

Postby bn999 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Assuming that the ESC is not bad and that the motor is not wound incorrectly, keep trying different combinations of parameters. The three that would likely have the most impact on this sort of problem are switching freq, minimum period and mostly advance.

However, I would first suspect the ESC and/or motor. If you have another ESC32, see if it behaves the same. The same for the motor. If you have a way of checking very small resistances, check to see that the resistance is the same between each phase pairs (3 pairs total.)
bn999

Postby LPR » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Johan

If you're using the QGCS method of calibrating ESC32 here is some more information to make it a little easier to use.

You do not usually have to calibrate the ESC32 if your motor and prop combination takes less than 20 amps. To have maximum performance calibration is necessary

After many tries to calibrate with the windows QGC I found it does work but a few things have to be done a certain way.

1. Flash the ESC32 with the newest firmware.

2. Set the calibrate amps a little lower or at the maximum amps your motor will use with your prop and battery.
Don't bother setting the Max amps in the upper right hand corner till after you calibrate.

3. Now run the calibrations. If the motor stops while making an odd noise or loud noise you should run the calibration again with a lower calibration amp setting.

4. After calibrating both the RPM and the current limit you must recycle the power to the ESC32. Make sure you unplug the main power to the ESC32 first and then the MC if it is powered separately.

5. I close the QGC, then plug in the USB, then connect main power and then restart the QGC.

6. Now set the Max amps at the same setting as you had for calibrate amps or less, but not higher.

7. I find you can test the calibration by starting the motor and then increase the RPM by moving the slider and then click on "Set RPM".

8. If the motor will jump from start to full throttle without disarming the ESC32 has been calibrated with a low enough amp setting to not disarm in flight.

9. If the motor stops when testing, recalibrate at a lower calibrate amps and test again.

Your motor will draw more current if you fly in very cold and dry air. If you don't fly in cold weather using an amp setting the same as the motor takes at maximum throttle should work ok and give the fastest change in RPMs.

Here's a thread on a similar motor.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=654&p=2919&hilit=Tiger+Motor+MT2216#p2919

Larry
LPR

Postby johandm_be » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:59 pm

johandm_be

Postby johandm_be » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

johandm_be

Postby bn999 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 pm

bn999

Postby LPR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 am

Johan

You now know more about the ESC32 then I do now. bn999 is the expert. You'll be surprised, if you use an inline amp meter when you are running the motors connected to the QGCS. My inline amp meter always was near two times higher then I set the max amps at. So you are most likely closer to the limit of your motors then you think.

I would fine out that the motors are really taking for current and make sure it is a little less then their max amp rating.

Read the last part of step 9. I found that out the hard way.
Setting the Max amps higher than the amps you were able to calibrate at is pushing your luck.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
LPR

Postby Kisssys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 am

Johan,

I have a inline power meter from HK that gave me issues during calibration with the original ESC32. You might try without anything in line once just to see if it makes any difference. It only did it with my Avroto's.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby johandm_be » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am

johandm_be

Postby LPR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Johan

I'll be very interest in your results. I not able to do all of the testing you are doing. I only have an older two channel oscope and a little experience with electronics.

Larry
LPR

Next

Return to ESC32