Can not calibrate or arm

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Can not calibrate or arm

Postby vonsy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am

Hi all,

I try to calibrate the ESC32, i have the USB UART http://flyduino.net/USB-UART-Adapter-fo ... d-Multiwii and using the 5V one.

I can connect but when i try to calibrate nothing happend, also try to arm but still got the red led flashing .
it don't seems to read the ESC parameters.

By the way i can flash the firmware so i think that the USB UART cable is good.

any idear why i can not calibrate ?

Thank you.

Regards.

Pascal.
vonsy

Re: Can not calibrate or arm

Postby vonsy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi all,

Ok i found the problem, i have to add a link on the communication . It didn't took my default USB UART com port .. strange but it work now.
vonsy

Postby LPR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

vonsy

The 1.0.5 QGC works well with the ESC32. The 1.1.0 QGC does not work and I don't know if the new 1.1.1 QGC works.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2077

Here's the steps I use to calibrate the ESC32. They will be updating the ESC32 calibration soon. You do not have to calibrate the ESC32 if your motor and prop combination takes less than 20 amps. To have maximum performance calibration is necessary

If I follow these steps the Window QGC has work well for me.

1. Currently the windows QGC does work but only the older version 1.0.5 .
After many tries to calibrate with the windows QGC I found it does work but a few things have to be done a certain way.

2. Set the calibrate amps a little lower or at the maximum amps your motor will use with your prop and battery.
Don't bother setting the Max amps in the upper right hand corner till after you calibrate.

3. Now run the calibrations. If the motor stops while making an odd noise or load noise you should run the calibration again with a lower calibration amp setting.

4. After calibrating both the RPM and the current limit you must recycle the power to the ESC32. Make sure you unplug the main power to the ESC32 first and then the MC if it is powered separately.

5. I close the QGC, then plug in the USB, then connect main power and then restart the QGC.

6. Now set the Max amps at the same setting as you had for calibrate amps or less, but not higher.

7. I find you can test the calibration by starting the motor and then increase the RPM by moving the slider and then click on "Set RPM".

8. If the motor will jump from start to full throttle without disarming the ESC32 has been calibrated with a low enough amp setting to not disarm in flight.

9. If the motor stops when testing, recalibrate at a lower calibrate amps and test again.

Your motor will draw more current if you fly in very cold and dry air. If you don't fly in cold weather using an amp setting the same as the motor takes at maximum throttle should work ok and give the fastest change in RPMs.

Larry
LPR

Postby vonsy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 am

Hello Larry,

Thank's for your repply i apreciate it.

I got it working with QGC 1.1.1 here's my result
http://www.737-800.com/esc32.jpg

I have start with 12 A current limit.

How can i know how MAX current does it use durring the test ???

My Max current is 0.0 does i have to set it to 12 ?

Thank you.

Regards.

Pascal.
vonsy

Postby LPR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:33 am

vonsy

There is a number of ways to get the information of the maximum amps your motor and prop should take while using the your battery. If you have an amp meter you trust that would be the best way. A chart that gives the amps the motor should use with your prop and battery is good or you can keep trying higher amps till the motor stops during calibration or testing. If you use the last method you have to lower the amps be at least 10% so your motor will not stop while you flying.
You want to have close to the same amp for Max amp as you calibrated the ESC32 for. You can hear how the motor accelerates while testing it as I described above. Try using just 2 amps and you'll hear the motor run slowly. Keep increase the amps and at some point the motor will fail to jump to full throttle. I would recalibrate to an amp setting a least 10% lower and test again to make sure it can jump to full throttle.
Be careful.

Larry
LPR

Postby vonsy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:23 am

hi Larry,

Thank's again for your reply.

Ok i understand that i have to go slowly to have the optimal calibration result. I thought that ony one calibration sequence was enought :( hehehe

My motor a full load with my prop eat 13 A ( on paper ) so i calibrate a 12 A max. I think i'm safe to start with it.

Will try this week-end ... will let you know how it fly ....

Cheers.

Pascal.
vonsy

Postby LPR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 pm

LPR

Return to ESC32