[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ESC32 calibration with AQGC 1.1.0A3

ESC32 calibration with AQGC 1.1.0A3

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

ESC32 calibration with AQGC 1.1.0A3

Postby cm01 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 am

Hi,

i was just doing esc32 calibration for current limiter with GroundControl 1.1.0A3 and got following problem:

I start calibration with 8 amps. I use Robbe Roxxy BL 2824-34 motors, max. current 9A (for 60 sec.).
Everything worked fine and i got 5 current limiter values.
(I made screenshots but cant upload them because its my first post).
So these are the values after calibration, but before writing to esc memory:
CL1 0.481829
CL2 0.000875531
CL3 -0.100584
CL4 -9.98912e-06
CL5 1.67849

When im writing the values to rom and load them again i got the following values:
CL1 0
CL2 0
CL3 +4.81829e-01
CL4 +8.75531e-04
CL5 -1.00584e-01

It seems, the values got mixed up.
CL1 and CL2 is set to zero.
CL3 has got exactly the value from CL1 after calibration
CL4 has got exactly the value from CL2 after calibration
CL5 has got exactly the value from CL3 after calibration

I tried different FW on esc32 (1.4, 1.4.1) - everytime the same.

After many hours of trial and error I tried GroundControl V1.0.5 and everything works fine.
(After reading from esc i got the same values for CL1-5).
So I guess, it has something to do with V1.1.0A3 of GroundControl software?

Is this a bug or did I do something wrong?

btw, i was using GroundControl for Win7.

Chris
cm01

Re: ESC32 calibration with AQGC 1.1.0A3

Postby LPR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 am

Chris

The windows QGC does work but only the older version 1.0.5 .

After many tries to calibrate with the windows QGC I found it does work but a few things have to be done a certain way.

Flash the ESC32 with the newest firmware.

You started right by setting the calibrate amps a little lower or at the maximum amps your motor will use with your prop and battery. Don't bother setting the Max amps in the upper right hand corner till after you calibrate.

Now run the calibrations. If the motor stops while making an odd noise or load noise you should run the calibration again with a lower calibration amp setting.

After calibrating both the RPM and the current limit you must recycle the power to the ESC32. Make sure you unplug the main power to the ESC32 first and then the MC if it is powered separately.

I close the QGC, then plug in the USB, then connect main power and then restart the QGC.

Now set the Max amps at the same setting as you had for calibrate amps or less, but not higher.

I find you can test the calibration by starting the motor and then increase the RPM by moving the slider and then click on "Set RPM".

If the motor will jump from start to full throttle without disarming the ESC32 should be calibrated correctly.

If the motor stops when testing, recalibrate at a lower calibrate amps and test again.

Your motor will draw more current if you fly in very cold and dry air. If you don't fly in cold weather using an amp setting the same as the motor takes at maximum throttle should work ok and give the fastest change in RPMs.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPR

Postby cm01 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Larry,

thank you for your reply.

OK, Im using QGC 1.0.5 then.
When I did the calibration again, I had the problem, that there were too less steps in the calibration process (changings of RPM). The max current was 3.5 Amps even thoug I had set it to 8 Amps in the software. Then it stops (no noise).

So I reflashed the Firmware of the esc to version 1.4 release. (I had esc32 FW V1.4.1 B5251 before)
The calibration works fine now. max current was 9-10Amps.

RPM configuration worked as well.
Is the rpm configuration neccesarry? I thougt I read somewhere in the forum that it is not used if you use PID controller?

Then I testet the calibration as you said.
At RPM 7500 i have app. 9.5 Amps.
So I armed the motor, an let the motor jump from start to 7500 RPM.
The motor did not disarm.

Do you think, it is best to restart the calibration, lets say at 12 Amps and test if the motor stops when it jumps from start to full throttle?

The motor can handle 9 Amps for 60 seconds, but probably much more for a very short period for leveling the copter.
Could this improve stability if I set Amps up?

Anyway, the changing of rpm is much faster than on my old turnigy esc. Cant wait to fly the copter.

Chris
cm01

Postby LPR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:11 am

Chris

I did not know that you would need the newer firmware.

You need to do the RPM calibration to use the RPM slide bar and the "Set RPM" button for testing the motor. If you search the forum you'll find more info on what the ESC32 is capable of doing.
You can go from 10% to 20% over the max amps your motor takes but when you do you always run the risk of an in air motor shut down. On my octo when I had the ESC32 set to 30 amps the motors would disarm when I flew in very cold air that had some snow whipped up in it. Anything that will make your motor use more amps can cause it to disarm, like a bad bearing. If you are building an octo that has redundancy of motors then you don't have to play it safe.

You can play with setting and find that it takes to have the motor to disarm and then set the ESC32 to a lower amp setting. To me 20% reduction would be about right. If you listen closely you can hear how fast the motor is accelerating. There is not a lot of gain in acceleration with higher amp settings.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LPR

Postby sandmen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 am

I will fix the calibration routine in the next time.
It's on my ToDo list.
sandmen

Postby LPR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Peter

I see all of the programming you are doing and continue to be amazed by your work.
I'm just trying to help the few people who need help now.

Larry
LPR

Postby kinderkram » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Yah, I dunno what we'd do without Peter's continous hard work!

Coders are a sensitive breed. :lol:
Worst thing you can do is trying to push them.
Just a tap on a shoulder, a "bravo" and positive feedbacks now & then and it'll give them a nice and cosy feeling.

Best rewards for everyone in the team are airborne autopilots shown off - that gives everyone the motivation to move on. ;)
kinderkram

Postby cm01 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm

I have to agree totaly.

Thanks to the team for the hard work you are doing for us.
And thanks to the forum and all the people, helping each other.

Im looking forward doing the calipso and hopefully I can show a succesfull maiden flight soon.
cm01

Return to ESC32