[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Calibration questions, for MT-4006, 4s, 12x4.5, is this ok?

Calibration questions, for MT-4006, 4s, 12x4.5, is this ok?

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Calibration questions, for MT-4006, 4s, 12x4.5, is this ok?

Postby Lindbaergh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi, so this is not my first copter, but the first in that size/price class, so i want to make (double)sure everything is ok :). some data:
octo+
auto quad fc
esc32 (with a second capacitor, logic powered by 5V (fc/ftdi))

12x4.5 props (they are subject to change, but for now they are ok)
4s lipo

i flashed firmware 1.4.1-5251, and loaded default values, then changed Max current (24) and Motor poles (24) to match the spec's of the 4006. i started on the first motor with RPM calibration. it changes the rpm around 30 times and then the motor stops with a noise. after some seconds. i get a message that the values are changed, so good so right.
then i start the current limiter calibration the motor starts turning, and after 5-6 times changing the rpm it stops with a noise, after that it takes around 1 minute (rx/tx led of ftdi i blinks every 2 seconds) before the finished message pop's up and the values are changed. the same happened for the second motor. also the resulting values of the calibrations are very different for each motor, is this ok so far? should i better calibrate all 8 motors instead of just copying the values to the other motors?

thanks for comments and suggestions Michael
Attachments
ESC32-Calib-M-02_ok-cut.jpg
calibration Motor 02
ESC32-Calib-M-02_ok-cut.jpg (218.03 KiB) Viewed 11355 times
ESC32-Calib-M-01_ok-cut.jpg
calibration Motor 01
ESC32-Calib-M-01_ok-cut.jpg (218.86 KiB) Viewed 11355 times
20130114_202622-cut1.jpg
testdrive
20130114_202622-cut1.jpg (284.72 KiB) Viewed 11355 times
Last edited by Lindbaergh on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindbaergh

Re: Calibration questions, is this ok?

Postby LPR » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 am

Lin

Your in luck, there's a thread that is covering how to set the ESC32 over here. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1948&p=9339&hilit=ESC32+calibration#p9339

If you know the amount of amps your motor and prop should take then start with lower amps setting in both the calibration and the max current.
If your motor can take 20 amps start at 10 or 15amps. If your motor stops while making a noise the amps are too high.

I've been playing with the ESC32 for months and I'm still learning.

You want to set them as high as you can but they must be able to go from very low throttle to wide open and not dis arm.

Larry
LPR

Postby Lindbaergh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. good to know how the results should look like. i found the first mistake already, i calculated with 3s and not 4s :oops: . so i will redo calibration with lowered current settings.
Lindbaergh

Postby LPR » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Lin

Be sure to look at the thread because you will most likely need to adjusting the motor timing if your using high pole count motors.

Larry
LPR

Postby Lindbaergh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 am

Hi larry,

i read that thread before, but made not much out of it, because i had a complete wrong idea how the calibration works, your comments guide me in the right direction. i read it again and correct my mistake with the amp settings, and it works fine now. i calibrated 6 of 8 motors now and everything is looking good. i used 17 amp (in both fields) and 20 advance , i read in another thread that jussi do all his mt motors with 25 so i think im on the safe side :). i upload a zip with the .txt files of the calibration runs, and screen shots of the ff and cl values here, maybe someone can take a look over it or use it somehow.

Michael
Attachments
AutoQuad-calib-result-20130115.zip
calibration MT-4006, 17 Amp, 20 Advance, 24 Motorpoles
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 634 times
Lindbaergh

Re: Calibration questions, for MT-4006, 4s, 12x4.5, is this

Postby LPR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Michael

Great to here it is working for you. Now could you come over and do the ESC32 on my octo? :D

I have them set a little too high on the amps and if some snow is whipped up by the props and it gets in the motors they disarm. Four or five times I seen two props start to slow down and then the octo flips and drops into the snow. Only broke one prop and I've learned not to fly very close to the snow. All the electronic are sealed so changing the setting is a pain.

Larry
LPR

Postby Lindbaergh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Larry

'working' is a complete different story :), but im sure you will get things up and running. we have snow here too in the moment, i have prepared all electrical parts of the copter with stuff like 'plasti dip' and 'wet protect' to prevent them from being 'flooded', i hope that it works...

Michael
Lindbaergh

Postby LPR » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Michael

I can maybe help with the motor mixing when you get that far. I spent way to much time tying different mixes. The one I have now is working but still might not be the best.

Larry
LPR

Postby bluuu » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 pm

LPR:
could you add new post where you describe your expirience with mixing tables ?

I read couple of posts to find any informations about mixing tables.
I know about teory and I found examples but .... I think it's good time to summary and put "official" working tables for different frames. What do you think ?
bluuu

Postby LPR » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 pm

[url][/url]Bluuu

I know the team is working on having the motor mix table on the QGC. Max wrote this yesterday.

e: WIKI: improvement proposals from newbies experiences

Postby Max » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm
There's a very clear page titled "w...........

For the mixing tables, that is in the works -- in an upcoming QGC we'll have some pre-defined motor mixes conveniently accessible.

Thanks,
-Max
LPR

Next

Return to ESC32