[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - ESC32 Q&A

ESC32 Q&A

Info and Discussion about the ESC32 hardware and software

Re: ESC32 Q&A

Postby joebar.rc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 am

The way I see it (and use it :) ), when you have one power distribution point, both for the AQ and the main power for the ESC/motor you don't have to worry. Like you said. when disconnecting the main battery, all power to all components will be disconnected at once.

This warning is for those that have separate power options. For example a BEC that powers the flightcontroller and the ESC32's running on a separate battery.

Menno
joebar.rc

Postby Wingspinner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 pm

What's the issue with the power sequencing?

If AQ is providing power to the ESC32 (btw jumpers on AQ were already soldered from factory) and AQ is running off same lipo as power for motors will it be ok to simply plug and unplug the lipo? Is that adequate or is a two circuit scheme required?

Thx
Ron
Ron
"WingSpinner"
Wingspinner

Postby JussiH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:49 pm

You wont always blow the gate drivers if you disconnect 5V before main power. But it can happen, hence the warning.

It is always safe to disconnect main power before 5V. Unplugging power to main board and ESC simultaneuosly is also safe - although there is capacitance on each ESC input, it is not enough to damage anything.

On all my copters, I just unplug the lipo to power down board and ESC simultaneuosly and I have never had any problems with that. The warning is more relevant in situations where you are working with the ESC (setup) when it can be handy to be able to power the ESC logic from FDTI. It is in those cases you need to be be vigilant about always having the logic powered up before powering up or down the main input.

I will look into the wiki and manual texts and see if this can be explained better.
JussiH

Postby Wingspinner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Jussi,
Thanks for the quick reply and clarification. I'm starting to wonder why not just run the ESC32 from its inboard regulator and avoid this entire issue. What am I missing?

Thx
Ron
Ron
"WingSpinner"
Wingspinner

Postby joebar.rc » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:15 am

Using the onboard regulator limits you in the main battery voltage. that regulator is a simple linear regulator that is best not used above 3S.
So by using the 'external' 5V to power the logics instead of the internal regulator opens the way to a 5S setup.
joebar.rc

Postby Wingspinner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks Joebar.rc. It must be a 7805 so I guess that makes sense. Anyway, got it. THanks
Ron
"WingSpinner"
Wingspinner

Postby Lyagukh » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 pm

On the Internet nobody knows you are a Frog
Lyagukh

Postby LPR » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:24 am

I'm using 5s lipos with a separate Bec and that works well. I tried 3s with the tab soldered on a ESC32 and that worked well. When my Autoquad board come next week I'll use some diodes to step the 5s lipo voltage down to below 18 volts and use the Autoquad board to power all the ESC32s.
LPR

Postby Volver » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:22 am

what if i'll use 6V from BEC, i want to use 6V because of gimbal servos, they work better at higher voltages.
Volver

Postby JussiH » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:56 am

6V is not a problem. The logic side voltage is fed onto an LDO that in turn powers the MCU. Make sure you dont have any of the outputs powered on the main board.
JussiH

PreviousNext

Return to ESC32