[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Motormounts with ESC32 for a new Hexa

Motormounts with ESC32 for a new Hexa

Show us your flight videos and pictures of your aircrafts

Motormounts with ESC32 for a new Hexa

Postby chschmid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm

It was on my mind for a while now to move the ESC as far from the AQ as possible. Today I made a prototype.

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

I do not know yet into what problems or sideeffects I am running.
Thats why I post the project and I hope to get some inputs and thougts from you.

I am aware of:
- using capacitors along the powerwire.
- drilling the powerwires for minimum induction.
- keep the powerwires from passing under the AQ.

I do not know:
- how to protect the signal wire against induction?
- is the resistance of the signalwire to big to provide proper signal to the esc. Do I need a shielded wire. If yes, does it need "ground (-)" connection.
- how do the vibrations affect the ESC32?
- cooling of the ESC32 on to will be much better than bottom. Does the ESC32 like that?
- Is the extra weight at the outer armtip good in terms of stability?

Thanks for comments.

Christof
chschmid

Re: Motormounts with ESC32 for a new Hexa

Postby bn999 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:19 pm

One thing that I found out the hard way. Twist the positive and negative power lines around each other as they make their way to the ESC. I had problems with the initial surge on power up inducing a current in the PWM lines run along side the power lines which blew out the MCU on the FC. It kept happening until I made this simple change.
bn999

Postby Kisssys » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Are your ESC wires twisted. Can't believe I haven't blown them also.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby bn999 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Do you mean the phase output wires? No.
bn999

Postby chschmid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for your remark Bill
I was not aware that it is so critical with inductive voltage/current.
chschmid

Postby Kisssys » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby bn999 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Nor the signal and GND. The power lines were enough.
bn999

Postby kinderkram » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Good attempt, Christof!

I have some proposals:

- turn the holes for the motors 45deg.
- turn the motors around, so the wires can run through an extra hole in the upper plate
- turn the ESC 180deg., power wires pointing to the center

That way you can keep the motor wires short and protect them better than running them from the outside.
The FTDI and other pins are better accessible and the LEDs better visible.
The power parts would get a better prop wash. Signal wire can run on the lower side of the esc
Only tricky part will be the caps. If you'd take 1 big cap you could mount it in an upright position instead of how it's usually done.
kinderkram

Postby chschmid » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for the proposals Norbert.

I know it would be nice to have the ESC 180° turned. But then I have to strech the motormount by an extra 2cm to get the wires out. Now, the extra hole is "ocupied" by the CFK arm.
Maybe I move a 330 cap under the ESC and then every 10 or 15cm a 330 extra cap.

I will post the next prototype.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby chschmid » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:06 pm

The Hexa is cut and assemled for preview.

After trying different sizes and postions for the motormount I decided to reverse the ESC32 and have the connections inwards, the LEDS on top. It is very tight to work on and I hope there will be no repairs needed.

Comments welcome

Cheers
Christof
Attachments
DSCN4855.jpg
DSCN4855.jpg (90.61 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
DSCN4850.jpg
DSCN4850.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
DSCN4842.jpg
DSCN4842.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
DSCN4838.jpg
DSCN4838.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
DSCN4836.jpg
DSCN4836.jpg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 13095 times
Last edited by chschmid on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chschmid

Next

Return to AQ Media Showcase