[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - My Y6 rev2

My Y6 rev2

Show us your flight videos and pictures of your aircrafts

My Y6 rev2

Postby Max » Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

front.jpg
front.jpg (458.39 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

This post is embarrassingly overdue... :oops: I built this up almost a year ago now. It is the successor to my first AQ, a Y6 which until I tried to upgrade the motors, which led to , which led to a full rebuild. Soon after the build it became a test subject for a DIMU prototype (which led to the released v1.1). Then it was winter, and well... here we are, almost June. :shock:

top.jpg
top.jpg (505.89 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

Built using UAP2-v1 parts from Rusty (AGL Hobbies), 330x16x1.5mm CF arms from FlyCarbon (legs are x1mm). And some ESC holders I cut myself (saw and drill baby, no fancy-schmancy CNC here ;) ). Still some touches I'd like to fix, eg. the LEDs are just tossed on there and the Rx antennas are a bit exposed for my liking. And the balls need some color. :) Pics are from last year, but not much has changed.

arm-close.jpg
arm-close.jpg (432.21 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

Current config:

T-Motor MT2814-10
APC MR 12x4.5" (not pictured ;) )
HK Blue 30A ESC, SimonK firmware
4S 10600mAh Glacier 35C (2x 5.3Ah)
3.4Kg AUW, (~4.3Kg max. with 12" prop.)
~17min flight time. (~12min @ max. AUW)

side-close.jpg
side-close.jpg (377.62 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

It can fly with 11, 12, or 13" props. I switch 'em out depending on the load. For initial testing and setup I used 11" props and lighter batteries. With 12" props it's ready to carry a decent size camera/gimbal. The current config with 12" props and no payload is a bit overpowered, but the only real downside is that it's a bit touchy on the throttle stick. I haven't tried 13" props yet, so that's still theoretical (eCalc says up to 5Kg for 50% throttle, and 10min flights).

Here's part of a flight from a couple days ago, 12" APC MR props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHR2gXu_9nE

And another from last July, with 11" Gemfan CF props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF55OWo5ek

build.jpg
build.jpg (210.9 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

build-close.jpg
build-close.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

y6r2-PDB+.jpg
y6r2-PDB+.jpg (118.94 KiB) Viewed 10513 times

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Re: My Y6 rev2

Postby kinderkram » Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Better late than never... ;)

Very nice setup, looks very smooth.
Any plans to replace the old school CD container?

btw: which GensAce lipos do you use?
kinderkram

Postby Max » Thu May 29, 2014 12:53 pm

No real plans for that... no. :) It could be lighter, but can't beat the versatility... twist on/twist off.

Hmm, had a typo on the specs... the 5.3Ah batteries are Glacier "35C", which are actually the same cells are GensAce "25C" (as far as anyone can tell). The 11" setup does fly on 2x 4Ah GensAce "25C." AFAIK the GA's are no longer available (in the States anyway). But I really like the cells, and they rate well in "independent testing" (RCGroups battery testing maniacs :) ).

http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-35c-5300mah-4s1p.html
http://www.rc-battery.com/app/menu.php? ... duct&id=99

-Max
Max

Postby chschmid » Thu May 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi Max

Very nice machine. And it flies very well for an Y6. Congrats.

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Thu May 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Looks good. Keeping it retro with the cd case!

My current hexa started out as a UAP2 y6 with 700kv 2814-11 motors. I get about 12 minutes fully loaded with nex5 on a 3 axis gimbal and running 10k mah of 4s. I have mounted both batteries on a plate above the FC now that it's running a DIMU. I do like those APC MR props too. I'm running them on most of my rigs now.

Wouldn't those big sleeves over the arms be causing more interruption to the airflow than necessary?
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Sat May 31, 2014 7:22 am

Hi Max,

nice Y6 8-) she's flying real smooth.

I've thrown an eye at the SkyHero Spy when looking for a new frame since it's possible to fold it for transportation, but then decided to build the CamCruiser since I only wanted to add the HD Hero 3 and do not (really) need the lifting capacity of the Y6 (o.k. the additional payload for my setup is around 1.9kg (based on data from eclac) but I think I will never use it). But, since I like the appearance of the Y6 design I might have one in the future ;)
The SkyHero uses 30mm carbon arms; do you guys think it's possible to have the (upcoming) ESC32V3 placed inside of the arms?

There's one additional question: Were is the speech in your videos coming from (i.e. when changing flight modes)? Is it from the Android app or did you add it when post processing the video? And, is there a way of changing the voice type (i.e. from male to female and vice versa)?

Joerg
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby Max » Sat May 31, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks guys! She's a pleasure to fly. "Top hat" and all :)

Glenn, I've tried with and w/out the sleeves and haven't noticed any difference. My old setup I flew, and crashed, with and w/out sleeves, and they protect the motor wires nicely from prop slices. So I leave them on there.

Joerg, the voice is from QGC. You can mute/unmute it in settings. Running on the same laptop which is doing the filming, which is why it's so clear. The voice type is settable in the OS settings (I forget where that is on a Mac now). It uses the default system voice, in other words.

Cheers,
-Max
Max

Return to AQ Media Showcase