Small X8, first build with 3d printer parts

Show us your flight videos and pictures of your aircrafts

Re: Small X8, first build with 3d printer parts

Postby boriss » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes dropped the thought, ill just make a new part to replace the lipo nicely.

Had a good and bad experience today. During flight a Motor disarmed during a stronger ascend. The good part of the story is now i know that my bird is redundant it didn't even twitch while the motor stopped. Took it down and was able to restart again and gave is another 1 min of flight not higher than 2 meters. Unluckily I slipped in a new SD card that I never used and no data was logged.

I tried a couple bench test with props on and off and i can't reproduce the issue. Any thoughts ? ESCs itself doesnt show anything abnormal. ESCs are calibrated and all values are stored on the one that caused the issue.

Any additional thoughts what i could look for ?

Thanks

Boris
boriss

Postby boriss » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:45 pm

By the way the thought that the ESC disarmed is complete speculation only went that direction since everything worked again afterwards ! In case of a ESC disarming in flight would AQ try to arm it again and spin of the motor again to meet the others ?

Thanks

Boris
boriss

Postby LPR » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:57 am

Boriss

The ESC32 stay disarmed until you reduce the throttle till the motors stop.
If you can see the ESC32 red led while the other 7 props are still spinning you would be able to know that the ESC32 had disarmed.
You can make the ESC32 disarm by slowing the prop down while the prop are turning slowly, by using a rug or piece of cardboard to brush against the slow turning prop. You will see the red led go on and be able to restart the motor by moving the throttle to the lowest position and then increasing the throttle till all the motors start.

If I have a ESC32 disarm I reduce the Max amps on all the ESC32s to prevent it from happening again before I would fly a mission. The good news is that you have redundancy but don't push your luck too far.

My octo would never disarm till I flew over loose snow and the snow flakes in the air would increase the load on the props and then they would disarm. Lowering the Max Amps solved the problem.

Larry
LPR

Postby boriss » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:19 pm

I will reduce the MAx amps for sure just to be safe. The X8 since only using a go pro gimbal on it is over powered anyways. What i am worried about though that is seems random to me. I have pushed is a lot harder before without any issue. During the (probably disarm) the bird was in a ascend were the one motors was left to carry the front left, thus this one was driven to the max for sure without any issues.

I am really starting to wonder if it has something to do with my long signal wires. They again are shielded and outside of the tubes and the power to the ESCs is inside of the tubes.

Maybe I should switch to can bus any length restrictions on that ?

Thanks

Boris
boriss

Postby aBUGSworstnightmare » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Think of the CAN-bus in your car; don't think that your copter is using such bus lengths.

In case of long PWM signal lines you schuld 'upgrade' to CAN for shure.
aBUGSworstnightmare

Postby LPR » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Boriss

Disarming is quite random.

A freshly charged battery makes it more likely to happen. Full throttle does not take as many amps as a fast change in RPM.

Your shielded signal wires should rule out signal problems.

CAN or PWM should make no difference for disarming.

Larry
LPR

Postby boriss » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks guys !

Reducing of the max amps it is for now and lets see what happens !

Boris
boriss

Previous

Return to AQ Media Showcase