[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - RTH - how does it really work?

RTH - how does it really work?

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

RTH - how does it really work?

Postby Altix » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:14 am

I have been playing around a bit with RTH on my AQ-systems. Basically, it is really working well, but there are a few things, I really don't fully understand.

In the wiki http://autoquad.org/wiki/wiki/configuri ... -switches/ it is stated, that RTH is working, when AUX2 is in the "down" position and Flap SW is in the "center" or "down" position. Is that really correct? In other words: is it possible to execute RTH when flying in the manual mode? When I did my tests, RTH was only possible, when flying in PH mode (Flap SW centered), in manual mode, there was no reaction at all. Furthermore, how would RTH in manual mode fit with the info in the wiki, that Flap SW "down" and AUX2 "center" means aborting RTH action?

Could somebody please help, I'm a bit confused.

One further question: the wiki says "The home position is determined on the first position hold or when the set home position switch is utilized." Is my understanding correct, that it is only the first switch from manual to PH, that determines the home position, and that the only way to override that position is to switch to set home position by AUX2? In other words: if I start flying in manual mode, switch to PH then go back to manual and finally to PH again, this second switch to PH will not override the home position set on the first switch?
Regards, Michael
Altix

Re: RTH - how does it really work?

Postby chschmid » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:06 am

chschmid

Postby Altix » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 am

Hi Christof,

thanks for your feedback. I was asking that, because I am actually still working on my little FPV flyer. For me, flying in PH mode is very strange at the moment, most probably, because I haven't optimized the nav PIDs yet. That's why I prefer flying in manual mode. But that means onthe other hand, in case of an "emergency", I have to switch two channels to execute RTH while wearing the goggles, which I don't like. I therefore programmed a switch in my Taranis, which sets Flap SW to "center" and AUX2 to "down", regardless the real position of these switches. By this, I can fly relaxed in manual mode and just have to switch one single channel I am used to, which is always my RTH or autorotation channel in all models. But this only works properly, if the originally set home point is not overwritten e.g. by changing flight modes.
Regards, Michael
Altix

Postby LPR » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Michael

The only way to have your multicopter return to home in the manual mode is to use the failsafe function. In manual mode if you switch off the transmitter the multicopter will stop and hold position for twenty seconds and then return to the home position.

Of course you would have no control as the quad returns to home. Your solution using the Taranis to first activate APH is a good one and I might add that to my Taranis. The only problem would be to try to RTH while not having a GPS lock. I guess you can get the AQ info to be sent to the Taranis and not have the RTH function work if the hacc value is not low enough.

While the quad is returning to home in RTH you can interrupt the RTH funtion by moving the pitch and roll joystick out of it's center position and your quad will stop and be in position hold control even if you used the RTH function in a mission. To continue the RTH function you can reactivate it with the switch and it will continue to home.

I've replaced a switch with a push button on my Taranis so I can quickly activate RTH.

Larry
LPR

Postby Altix » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 am

Hi Larry,

thanks for your feedback. Christof has already corrected the table about flight switches in the wiki. So, no further confusion about that.

Yeah, switching off the Taranis would activate AQ's failsafe routines, but that is no option for me. I will never understand, how a rc pilot, whot lost controll over his copter, can switch off his transmitter to save the copter. To me, that is a no go.

And yes, you are right regarding the missing GPS lock. Actually, Peter gave me a LUA scipt for the Taranis. I got it running, but unfortunately didn't have time enough to play a little bit around with it. But in the LUA screen, values for e.g. HACC are shown, so in general, it shouldn't be any problem, to programm some spoken comments, that the copter is either executing RTH or PH when switching the "RTH-button", depending on the actual HACC values (EDIT: in case, HACC is the value, that decides about PH or RTH).
Regards, Michael
Altix

Return to General Discussion