[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - looking for a u.fl extension cable

looking for a u.fl extension cable

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

looking for a u.fl extension cable

Postby DUKE40 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi,

I would like to put my GPS antenna higher and thus further from the other components, but unfortunately the cable is always quite short about 10cm maximum, and would need rather something like 20cm. I searched for an extension cable, but wjatz I have found up to now, are not really extension cables as they habve the very same connector (female or male) on both ends.
Anybody an idea where I could find such extension cable?
Best regards,
DUKE40

Re: looking for a u.fl extension cable

Postby kinderkram » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Extending the GPS cable is not the best option. You better solder a longer wire to the antenna.
You could use an Frsky radio antenna wire or the one that Jussi offers in his shop.

Extension cables are pretty rare but there are some on Aliexpress and you might also find them elsewhere:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 34812.html
kinderkram

Postby JussiH » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:15 pm

That cable will not work to extend a u.fl

u.fl/Ipex males is a board connector only.

Only and proper way to do it, is to solder a new and longer cable to the antenna itself.

(there is a description somewhere on this forum on how to extend GPS antenna wires. And it used to be linked from the wiki, but now it is not anymore.....Norbert?)

Or you could find an antenna with some type of SMA connector and then use a u.fl to SMA pigtail to extend the wire. But each connector you add gives you a loss of about 1db. So not really recommended....
JussiH

Postby axelnied » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Try this, it worked for me on the larger 35mm GPS:
axelnied

Postby DUKE40 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:06 pm

Unfortunately, my soldering skills do not allow me to replace the antenna cable.
That is really a pitty, I have no idea how I could now get my problem solved.
The cable coming with the antenna is much too short, I would need double the length, about 20cm.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby DUKE40 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 pm

I will give it a try, based on the information provided in the thread posted above by axelnied.
Hope I will get it right and not kill anything else.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby kinderkram » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Brave man! :D
If you succeed you can be proud bc you learnt smt new.

If not ... we will find a solution. You could send it to me or someone else to solder it for you or exchange units or the like.
kinderkram

Postby DUKE40 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Have now ordered the ingredients for replacing the GPS antenna cable with a longer one.
Hope everything will go smooth.
I will report about success or failure.
Best regards,
DUKE40

Postby pilotnbr1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:28 pm

I really find the key to soldering is to use flux... As long as you dab the flux on the two parts to be joined, touch the parts, touch the iron with solder on it to the parts, the fresh solder will just flow together and make the joint.
pilotnbr1

Return to General Discussion