QGC: Set Home?

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Re: QGC: Set Home?

Postby Patnet » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Does anyone understand the relationship between the Home icon in the Android app,and Home as set by the "Set Home" function with the radio command.

When you set Home with the command, the app doesn't move the Home icon from the West Coast of Africa. It remains there. You can drag the icon manually with a touch. Should you do that each time?

If you "Send to AQ" from "Planning" in the Android app, are you actually sending the Home position near Africa to the AQ rather than the Home position you've commanded with the GPS?
Patnet

Postby LPR » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:07 am

It's hard to get every detail configured. Peter has done a very good job with getting the Android app to work as well as it does.

Home position is not movable from it's Africa location.

Larry
LPR

Postby Patnet » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:10 am

Everyone has done aa great job on Aq.
Patnet

Postby Patnet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 am

Hi Larry, to what extent does AQ for Android actually work? Is it a work in progress or is it not stable?

Out of two recent three waypoint tests with the first and second waypoint being normal waypoints and the third being a Landing waypoint:

In Test 1 the AQ correctly flies to WP1 then goes to WP2 and lands. WP2 is not a landing waypoint, though.

In test 2 it goes to WP1 correctly then heads towards WP2 and the audio says it's heading towards WP1. It then crashes spectacularly between WP1 and WP2.

Any ideas, is this a PID issue? Thanks for all your help.
Patnet

Postby LPR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:45 am

Sorry to hear about your crash. The android app would not cause a crash. Vibrations are one of the more common causes. One loose wire is a common cause.

Before I try doing missions in do many RTH flights and watch that the copter comes home as you would like.

PID setting can make a lot of differences in control. Keeping the PID as close to the defaults is usually the best way to get good control. The better the frame the closer you can get to the default settings.

Larry
Last edited by LPR on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LPR

Postby Patnet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 am

It's OK, it crashed into a soft, feather pillow-like fallow plowed field here--one benefit of a California drought. No water for crops.

I'm unable to do a RTH, it heads towards Africa. I thought I'd bypass RTH and go to waypoint flying. RTH does not work at all.
Patnet

Postby chschmid » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:54 am

How do you set your home position before you invoke RTH?
chschmid

Postby Patnet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 am

I use the switch on the radio. However, I have the Android app connected too. Which Home will it go to? The one near Africa, set as default in the Android app, or the one set by the radio?

When I open the Android Flight Data screen, there's often a yellow line between my location in California and the Home in Africa.

PH and manual flying is fine. GPS works because the AQ went to defined WH1 and landed on WP2. It was supposed to land on WP3, though.
Patnet

Postby LPR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 am

The idea is to keep things simple at first. Leave the Android off and use just the Tx.

The home point will be within a few meters of where the copters was when it first gets a 3D lock.

You can move the home point by moving the copter and than switching to Set home. There is no other way to set home for RTH. Your copter will return to home and go to the altitude and yaw angle that the copter was at when you switched to Set home. If RTH works well, mission will also work well. Do not be surprised if your copter doesn't go to the exact spot you set the Home point. GPS WP can move depending on how good of a 3D lock you have.

Larry
LPR

Postby Patnet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:52 am

Tks Larry, I will try RTH with Reboot and Android off. I've gotten used to the battery percentage/GPS fix/GPS location telemetry with Android though. Bit like flying blind without it.
Patnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion