[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Suitable Frame for use with AutoQuad?

Suitable Frame for use with AutoQuad?

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Suitable Frame for use with AutoQuad?

Postby EtheAv8r » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 pm

I have AutoQuad and ESC32 on their way (arrived UK and currently in customs) for my foray into multi-rotor flying machines. I already have Futaba high-end 2.4 R/C (I also have a Spextrum DX7s 2.4 for BnF toys but would not trust DSM2/DSMX on any “proper money” flying machine). I used to have JR DSX12 DSM2 but moved over to Futaba following several definite ‘glitching’ incidents, and following exchanging just the Rx from Spectrum to Futaba in the airframes, have enjoyed glitch free control for the past year or so in exactly the same models.

Now I need the rest of the kit…. Firstly the frame, should I simply go with a quad or is a hex better? I only want to lift a Gopro type camera (and even that not to start with), and may want to add FPV capability in the future, but flying quality and stability are the core aspect. I understand that AutoQuad really demands a stiff, rigid frame – for a Quad I had been contemplating a QAV500 but have been warned it is not rigid enough, and the TBS Discovery has plastic arms which I understand are also not stiff enough.

I have read Angel’s (afernan) Basic structural dynamics document, and although it is sound and excellent in its content, the math is just way beyond me – I am fully capable of making/building something given appropriate drawings/parts/components, but successful own design is out of the question. Angel’s result of his own design Quad Monoblock 620 or the Hex Monoblock 814 look to fly brilliantly, but as they is not available as a kit or detailed component specification/power distribution are is probably out of the question. This seems to leave the FPC HL Quad/Hex as the main best candidate, but again there seems to be little detail regarding construction/configuration/power distribution (which is all built-in with the QAV and TBS frames)/motors etc.

I can make bits – I have a small lathe and hobby CNC mill (which I am also learning….).

So I am just seeking some help and advice from you guys who know so much about AutoQuad based multirotor building and flying, and I currently know so little.

Is my best option to go with the FPC HL (which also has the benefit of supporting the chaps at Flyduino/Viacopter who support this forum), and if so in what configuration (quad/hex; arm length; motor spec; 3s or 4s lipo)?

Another good option appears to be the Vulcan MultiFrame Skyhook, I can start with it as a quad, and then upgrade it to a Hex if and when needed. It looks very rigid and strong, and is a UK product from a company with a good development history. Also of interest is the Vulcan Mantis 900mm Hex.....

I would prefer if the machine is not too big.

Any help or guidance or recommendations gratefully received as I embark on this new journey. I have an open mind (or I would not have chosen AutoQuad!) and am willing to work and learn – I just don’t want to make unnecessary big mistakes or re-invent any wheels!
EtheAv8r

Re: Suitable Frame for use with AutoQuad?

Postby bn999 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:47 pm

You are going to get a lot of opinions. IMO, the FPC HL in a quad configuration using RCT 5010 & RCT 15x5.5 CF props & 4S 5000mAh battery will give you a very stable, vibration free platform with good endurance (35+ mins) yet still capable of lifting a camera when you are ready. The built in power distribution also makes the build a little easier.
bn999

Postby Jdmagoo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:20 am

Jdmagoo

Postby bn999 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:39 pm

The quality control of the motors is bad meaning that some will come with defects out of the box. I usually buy a couple more than I need expecting this. But, once you get a good set, I've not had any bearing problems. The props are usually well balanced to start with and might only need a little touch up. I do balance the motors.
bn999

Postby EtheAv8r » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Thank you bn999. I hope that the anticipated 'lot of opinions' will yet materialise. The FPC HL is of great interest, but I would prefer better quality motors. I had expected some response from their vendors to support and promote their product. I sent an enquiry to the manufacturer of the Vulcan Multiframe and got a detailed response with recommended configurations and pricing for a full kit bundle - very encouraging and this machine does look very interesting. I do have 2 AutoQuads so am really looking for 2 machines to build and fly.
EtheAv8r

Postby EtheAv8r » Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Well it seems my only thanks are to bn999 as there is no other response, no other suggestions, or confirmations.

I did send a query re-components required and recommended high quality motors to build a FCP HL Quad as my initial test machine to both Flyduino and Viacopter who 'support' the AQ6 and their other offerings, but sadly have had no response whatsoever from Viacopter despite sending two requests via their web site Contact form and a third one via direct email to the address "protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it" an so out of respect for the protection agains spam-bot I am not reproducing here.

So if I am to go ahead with the FCP HL I will be ordering from Flyduino, as they had the courtesy to respond and provide some advice. Very disappointed with Viacopter, who either clearly have 'system' problems, or simply can't be bothered. And as it appears that Jussi from Viacopter is one of the main sources of support, I am somewhat concerned about my decision to go with AQ6 (made after lots of reading on this and many other forums).

I have ordered a Vulcan Multiframe Hex and motors and ESCs - not a low cost machine - and it is due to be delivered tomorrow. I can only say that the help, guidance and response from UAVshop who make and sell the Vulcan Multiframe here in the UK has been excellent.

I am beginning to wonder if the AutoQuad forum is not a bit of a 'closed shop' for those in the 'inner circle of knowledge and expertise' but something of a desert for us 'outsider newcomers', because my experience with other Helicopter forums has been very positive with lots of experienced folk giving plenty of helpful guidance and advice to all-comers with questions.

Hopefully this is not so, as I have purchased 3 x AQ6 boards and will need help from those that 'know' when the time comes to get them going. However if not I guess there will be 3 x AQ6 boards up for sale.

Once again thank you to bn999 - without whom my experience to date on this forum would already have led me to abandon the AQ6 and put my 3 units up for sale, even though the AQ6 does appear to be the best MultiRotor controller option.

I do hope I am wrong with my impressions from my initial experience (I am maybe a rather sensitive soul?)......
EtheAv8r

Postby Trnquill » Wed May 07, 2014 6:52 pm

It sure can be tough at times getting help or input regarding issues or concerns with AutoQuad. But that is by no means because people don't want to help! Oh no! (In my opinnion) it is just because the AQ scene is so small. Us AQ owners are vastly outnumbered by for example the huge crowd flying Naza or other DJI products. I don't have any real data to back me up but that's my gut feeling.

If you ask anything about Naza in for example RCGroups you have 10000 potential experts in line ready to answer your question. And usually quite soon some of them will. In AutoQuad forum on the other hand there are only handful of people (say - 25 of which only 5 are true experts AND active in the forum) to help you out. So, as you might guess, it can take quite some time to get an answer. And as always in internet, if the question is too long or hard, no one even bothers reading it through. In my experience it is best to keep your questions short and compact. Start a new thread even.

The lack of huge fanbase is one of the downsides of AutoQuad. It really shows when you have a tricky problem at hand. It might be that you are actually only one in the world (or at least in the forum) who has encountered that exact issue!

What it comes to Viacopter, I hear what you say and agree. The guys there are drowning in work and don't have time for proper customer support. I ordered an AQ board & GPS shield some time back (maybe one month ago) and they shipped it like week after my order even though it was in stock. When the parcel arrived I was surprised to see the GPS shield was missing. I emailed Jussi and got an answer few days later stating they had sent me the missing GPS shield. About week later I received a letter, but in it there was only the center plate of the GPS shield! I emailed Jussi about missing side flaps and he promised to send me them right away. Haven't seen them to this day...
Trnquill

Postby JussiH » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I think the contact form is broken. Norbert will look into it.

The best place to get a FCP-HL is from Flyduino - its their product and they carry the full line of motors, props and accessories for it.

I am available here and try to help everybody with AQ setup questions or troubleshooting - regardless of where you get the HW. But I am at times hung up quite severely for a 1-man operation...I apologize if I missed your email.

The suggestion that Bill made about a FCP-HL with RCT5010 is very valid. There is people here flying similar crafts, so you could easily get support for it. I am not very up to speed on that type of craft, since most of what I do is centered around smaller crafts. So I dont really have much to add.

We are aware that AQ can be daunting for newcomers and we are adressing it. The relatively small team is working very hard to bring everything up to date and documented and the next release candidate will make setup considerably simpler by introducing a 5 mins simple calibration routine.
JussiH

Postby Max » Wed May 07, 2014 7:49 pm

If you don't know what you're doing and need all this advice, why did you buy 3 controllers right off the bat? Before even posting here? :? And then threaten us that you'll sell them if we don't help you? Nice one.

-Max
Max

Postby JussiH » Wed May 07, 2014 8:36 pm

JussiH

Next

Return to General Discussion