[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Greetings from Cambridgeshire, UK

Greetings from Cambridgeshire, UK

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Greetings from Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby EtheAv8r » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm

I am shortly about to retire from work. I am keen to get into multi-rotor flying and have been ‘researching’ options for some time. I currently fly R/C fixed wing, R/C helicopters (in full size realistic type flight, no 3D jiggery poky), and also full size fixed wing (homebuilt).

I was initially considering getting a DJI Phantom, but would prefer to use my existing high-end Futaba 2.4 Tx (and I can do this with some versions of the Phantom). However I much prefer to scratch build, and also to have expansion options.

I have no specific ‘hard’ requirements, but initially just want to build and fly it, but want the option of then adding AV/AP capability (probably the ubiquitous GoPro), and also possibly FPV. Being based in the UK all FPV must be within LOS and accompanied by a ‘spotter’.

From what I can see my best non-Phantom options are TBS Discovery or QAV500 or the Sky-Hero Spyder 700 , and each seems to have its pros and cons, however I am favouring the QAV500 as a flying machine with the best hobby AV/AP possibilities, including adding a gimbal at a later date for the AV/AP.

Problem is that it seems that the Sky-Hero Spyder 700 & TBS Discovery are slightly better supported (i.e. dealers to buy from) in the UK, particularly from the perspective of getting advice and everything (best of breed/best for purpose) I need to get going, but my instincts tell me to go QAV500.

Strangely availability for both TBS and QAV seems very patchy (out of stock everywhere - don’t know why) but Phantoms are available by the lorry load, and Sky-Hero seems to have good availability.

Ideally I want a UK (or Europe) supplier, I don’t want the additional hassle and expense involved with VAT, customs and associated rip-off collection fees.

I have at least decided on the FC to go with – it will be AutoQuad. It looks to deliver super stable performance – even if setting it up looks a bit daunting – especially as I am not a coder. However having gone through the AutoQuad Wiki I feel confident I can do that.

How easy is it to get AutoQuad to work with an asymetric motor configuration that the Sky-Hero Spyder X4 has? Looking at it I am not sure where the CofG should ideally be.
EtheAv8r

Re: Greetings from Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby bn999 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 pm

bn999

Postby EtheAv8r » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Thank you. I cannot access the QuatosTool info as it is a protected post.
EtheAv8r

Postby SuperSharpShooter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 am

Hi there,

as a long-term owner of a QAV540g, I would advise against a QAV frame. The frame flexes badly through the middle, which makes it pretty much impossible to tune for precise flight. I had no end of jello and bad yaw performance no matter how balanced everything was. I only managed to get mine to work acceptably after adding a lot of cf tube as bracing to the frame to stiffen it.

I recently built an Autoquad powered Camcruiser FPV frame (copter4you.de), which is a similar sized craft and is very nicely made, but access into the central part of the frame to access the gimbal controller/electronics is still a bit of a pain, and it's still more suited for a gopro sized payload. I think there are probably better (lighter) ways to lift a gopro if that's all you're looking to fly for now.
-Glenn
SuperSharpShooter

Postby EtheAv8r » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:49 am

Thank you SuperSharpShooter - that is usefull information, so maybe that takes me back to TBS??

The Camcruiser looks interesting, but all instructions and support are in German which makes it out-of-scope for me (which is a pity as I have lots of German engineered kit - car, Bosch tools, HeliCommand and Bavarian Demon FBL controllers.....).

When I do get to lift a go-pro I want it to be as jello free as possible..... but first I just want to learn to configure and fly with the AutoQuad, and I do not want to go through a succession of different frames in my journey - I did that with R/C helicopters, and spent a fortune (and still have 8 different helis - which is not such a wife friendly situation...).
EtheAv8r

Postby LPR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm

oops
Last edited by LPR on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
LPR

Postby LPR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Just like with your RC helicopters the better they look often the worse they fly. Look for frames that are made of carbon fiber and stay away from plastic. There're lots of info on this forum about frames.

To understand that goes into building a great multicopter frame read about Angels frame build starting here.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2990

and then look at his latest multi.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3070

I hopes this will give you the info needed to select your frame.

Larry
LPR

Postby EtheAv8r » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Larry, thank you for that information. The maths in the design document is way out of my league! I can make stuff and am very practical, but never any good at math, I simply don't 'get it'.

However the home design machine in the second link looks very interesting - wow so smooth. and my daughter is in Madrid this year at the University......
EtheAv8r

Return to General Discussion