[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Basic structural dynamics in multicopters

Basic structural dynamics in multicopters

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Re: Basic structural dynamics in multicopters

Postby afernan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:09 pm

I´ve performed a test to determine the Young Modulus of the 16 mm carbon fiber tubes that I use in my copters. They comes from following shop:
http://rc-innovations.es/Accesorios/Fib ... tubo-16mm-

Result is E = 54.000 N/mm2.

Probably other CF tubes will have similar E values, but can be also very different! . So the best is to perform the simple test described in the document annexed

Angel
Attachments
16mm CF tube analysis V1.zip
(478.12 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
afernan

Postby Trnquill » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Few things are still missing to make the process super simple for rest of us:

1) What software to use for analyzing the vibration file? (Or if someone knows an app which shows the frequency reliably straight up in the phone, please do tell!)
2) You could solve the equation for E so that given all the known variables one could simply type in the values and get the E. Now one has to do the solving part, too. (Although there are great online (and desktop) tools for tasks like this, try http://web2.0calc.com/ for example)
Trnquill

Postby afernan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Below a video showing modeshapes of modal frequencies of arms and legs moving corresponding to my HEXA monoblock desing. It worths to see how it moves and frequency values.

Enjoy
Last edited by afernan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afernan

Postby afernan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 pm

@Trnquill:
In the document attached before showing the test performed in a CF tube, I´ve shown two ways of analyzin the accelerometer signal taken from the smartphone:
1.- Very simple by "counting waves". Afortunally we are dealing with low frequencies. Frequency = number of waves per second.
2.- Much more complex using FFT (Fast Fourier Transform (pease read in the web abouth that). I use Matlab.

To compute the "E" you can use an excel file. I attach the excel I use to do that. I guess is auto explicative, if you know what to do.

I offered before to compute "E" for tipical tubes you all use, for instance Flyduino or Viacopter ones. But I need to get a 1m length tube to perform the test (shorter ones are not valid). This is one time task for all. Maybe Paul and Jussi are interested.

For tubes from RC-Innovations I did it and reported the E value already.

Angel
Attachments
formulas.zip
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 710 times
afernan

Postby afernan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Main guidelines to design your copter free of frequency problems. Summary

1.- To be safe, use soft arms and legs combined with high RPM (small propellers). This is the MK style: small tube section (10x10) and long alu tubes. Then you´ll have the excitation frequency f(motor) high enough from arm ones. Typically we can get f(arm) = 20-30 Hz, f(motors) > 100Hz.

2.- As you increase the propeller size, rpm decrease, so freq.excitation. For instance a typical HEXA (mass = 2.5Kg, propeller = 12x4) f(motor) = 60-70Hz. With arms around 320mm, 16mm we have f(arm) = 35 - 40 Hz that is OK. Is suitable in this case to have longer arms to reduce more the arm frequency. Don´t use large diameter arms (18+mm), or shorter arms since this will increase f(arm). Torsion is not an issue (very high at f>400Hz).

3.- For propellers > 15" a lot of care must be taken, since the f(motor) can be very low (<50Hz). So we need to decide to put f(arm) freq behind or below f(motor). I prefer below (soft and long arms), it´s safe.

4.- Last but not least, the legs: usually we want to be behind f(motor). So use short, light and stiff legs. A typical "T" leg, 200mm long has f(leg) > 100Hz, that´s good.

Hope this will clarify general design ideas.

Angel
afernan

Postby Astudillo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi Angel,

Thank you very much for the excel sheet!

I think you ment to show this video :P

Cheers,

Ray
Astudillo

Postby afernan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:39 pm

afernan

Postby chschmid » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Angel

Thanks so much. I just could verify that my octo is within a good range with 32.9Hz (boom) / 69Hz (Prop).

Cheers
Christof
chschmid

Postby afernan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:00 pm

If someone wants me to make the numbers, you only need to give the data, and I´ll do it for you.
afernan

Previous

Return to General Discussion