[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Telemetry hardware options?

Telemetry hardware options?

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Re: Telemetry hardware options?

Postby Kisssys » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:15 pm

I use 4 different rf links. I have several RN42 Bluetooth module with a little 3v3 regulator in the line that I use in my back yard up to 30 meters maybe. I think this is a good place to go if you could get a higher power unit.

The next step is the 2.4 xbee's, if you use the ones with the little whip antenna you will see about 300 meters, if you have the ones with sma connectors on each end and use a proper antenna they have always worked line of site for me.

Probably the easiest to use are the XBee Pro 900 RPSMA on the ground and XBee Pro 900 Wire Antenna on the copter. I always have a link, never flew them far enough to not have a link. I hook up flow control, RTS does not come ativated on the xbee's but can be turned on by setting a bit with X-CTU. The XBee XSC's are long range but low data rate, like the 3DR's when set for max range the data rate goes down.

I have a set of 3DR's 900 and I have had to add toroids on some servo leads to prevent them from jumping, nice package though. I can run my Xbee 900 receivers on the bench in my office and go fly in the backyard and come back with solid plotted data on mavlink. I was not able to do that with the 3DR's talking to my APM.

Now if you really want to go all out, buy some 900mhz Xtend modules from digi.com. Only practical for larger fix wing.

I have a Xbee Pro 900 to a RN42 bluetooth module I made that I use to talk to my Nexus.
Steve
Kisssys
Kisssys

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks for the great replies. For solid long range use, I'm completely sold on the 900 MHz XBee Pro, so I'm mostly looking for something cheaper, simpler for shorter range. I'll try some of the BT solutions when I get a chance, since that's likely the answer I'm looking for.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3

Postby epyonxero » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Ive used 3DR radios and bluetooth with my AQ with no problems but I prefer the bluetooth mainly because I can use a cellphone to connect to the AQ instead of bringing a laptop.
epyonxero

Postby kinderkram » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Did some more tests with BT modules and found a cheap LogiLink class1 module for my netbook that can handle 2 connections simultaneously: http://www.amazon.de/LogiLink-Mini-Blue ... B0096Y2HFW

In general all BT modules should be able to establish more than one connection (i.e. for Stereo sound) but in reality two other modules I tested failed.

After pairing the modules I could use 2 different outgoing COM ports connecting both the AQ telemetry and the Alexmos gimbal controller. 8-)

Will test the range outdoors tomorrow. They come advertised as "100m range" but the module needs to establish 2 connections to 2x class2 modules. Indoors I only had disconnects of the Alexmos when reloading the complete AQ parameter set.

Also ordered one of those 200m BT boosters and hopefully will get it next week...
kinderkram

Previous

Return to General Discussion