Differential GPS for very precisie positioning

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Differential GPS for very precisie positioning

Postby Lindbaergh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:26 pm

My son send me the link to this interesting kickstarter project. I think it looks promising when one was thinking about future releases of the autoquad hardware.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swi ... s-receiver
Lindbaergh

Re: Differential GPS for very precisie positioning

Postby LPR » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 am

Michael

A very interesting find. I've been looking at RTKLIB for years. This could be the real deal for getting UAVs to fly with precision as soon as Christmas.

I was hopping to see you at the Fair maybe next time.

Larry
LPR

Postby Lindbaergh » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi Larry, yes we two should get a price for running around in the same spot and missing each other :D. I really hope there will be another chance in future, then we will exchange photos before the event so we know for whom we are watching out ;).

The possibilities to fly missions in areas with limited space to manoeuvre the UAV are amazing, i think. And maybe poshold can also profit a bit from more precise data.

Michael
Lindbaergh

Postby axelnied » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I like the ideal, but $900 seems a bit steep for 2 GPS and 2 XBee's to achieve cm/inch-accuracy... This - as with all GPS receives - will be under ideal conditions I assume!? But in the long term, this will be the way to go, and will eventually make its way into "mainstream"... (I hope).

One might be better of spending time (and money) into tuning your existing setup to improve "accuracy", because what does the improved GPS accuracy help you, if the flight controller cannot put it into reality?
axelnied

Postby flyrobot » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:28 am

Interesting, it will change our toy to higher level.

I found the discussion http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show ... 1#comments
flyrobot

Postby PablerasBCN » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:19 am

I just registered to post this info and hey, found that already existed. I'm quite excited with that gps thing.

They're working with the ardupilot team, would be great if the AutoQuad team did not lose the train. Or propose al alternative hardware.
PablerasBCN

Postby JussiH » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Bill already did some work into this topic, but found that the most limiting factor in acheiving higher precision via using RTK is the antennas we commonly use. There is also a considerable computational need that needs to be adressed for getting RTK in Real time. The CPU requirements is more than met with that PIKSI module and the Piksi does allow to use an external antenna (I suppose) for just that same reason. But I am just a little skeptical about it getting to work on a copter with a 35mm antenna.

Having said that, if they actually prove the concept and acheive CM-accuracy on a copter, I think that 900 USD is "affordable" enough and I am sure we will see it implemented on AQ.
JussiH

Postby LPR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm

LPR

Return to General Discussion