[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Futaba fg8 Super or the Spektrum DX8

Futaba fg8 Super or the Spektrum DX8

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Futaba fg8 Super or the Spektrum DX8

Postby Astudillo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 am

Hi guy's,

After playing with a arducopter on my school, i finally decided that i want to build a multicopter myself.
After a few weeks of research on the web, i got a fair idea of what parts i want to get, except the Radio controller.
I got my eyes on the Spektrum DX8 and the Futaba fg8 Super, but can't decide...

The DX8 looks like the more complete controller with its telemetry, and its out of the box compatibility with the AutoQuad board. Now am i just starter and don't need 8 channels right away (correct me if im wrong). But if in the future i want to do fpv(like a fatshark attitude) etc will it be enough?

There the Futaba comes in with its 14 channels, it has no telemetry, but i can buy a external set. But i already saw some troubling post about the R6208SB receiver only seeing 8 channels and having a small delay.

Could you guy's give me some advice ?
Astudillo

Re: Futaba fg8 Super or the Spektrum DX8

Postby skew » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 am

both are good radios but I wouldn't get hung up on telemetry in the tx too much. Add a 3dr radio to the AQ (you probably want to anyway) and you will have more data than you can handle. The futaba only requires a $12 signal inverter to work with AQ but you have to use a fasst RX not newest fastest, 6203 or 6208 will work fine there is no delay its actually faster than dx8 but latency doesn't matter much on a multicopter anyway. But either tx will work fine for AQ.
skew

Postby Max » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 am

Welcome to the forums,

Personally I'd hold out for the FrSky Taranis (https://www.alofthobbies.com/). From following the thread(s) on RCGroups and personal experience with other FrSky products, this is actually the first affordable radio I might consider replacing my aging Multiplex Evo with. And I don't say that lightly! ;) But you should do some research on it, don't just take my word.

Otherwise I say yes, at least 8 channels to start with unless you plan on upgrading soon. I have my Evo converted with a FrSky telemetry system, and I don't know how I did w/out it. True RSSI (you won't get that with AQ telemetry) plus flight battery voltage right there in front of me, for any model (not just AQ). I assume the DX8 offers at least as much. OTOH there is also a Mavlink to FrSky interface (via a JDrones IO-Board), so one could also send the AQ telemetry data to the FrSky system (like the fancy Graupner HOTT guys do now ;) ). Taping an Android phone to your Tx does work, but it's not the most convenient method... plus you need extra equipment like the telemetry radios.

Just my 2c,
-Max
Max

Postby kinderkram » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am

I'm eyeballing the DX8 for quite some time - but your post made me think, Max.

FrSky offers the Delta 8 RX which is compatible with my Hitec Aurora9 (I simply love it) with CPPM & RSSI output.
As I don't need telemetry on my radio I'll check if this could be a solution for me since it wouldn't burn another hole in my wallet and I can keep my beloved Aurora.

Just ordered one here http://www.t9hobbysport.com/item.asp?ca ... rodid=1125 and will report back how it's working.
kinderkram

Postby Astudillo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Tanks for the info guy's!
Astudillo

Return to General Discussion