[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - AQ flip over after lift off

AQ flip over after lift off

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Re: AQ flip over after lift off

Postby Lindbaergh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi, i tested the directions and ports by plugging only one esc at a time into the fc, arming it and starting the motor. all motors are turning in the right direction and plugged in the correct port of the fc. i painted the above picture and wrote the table you can see in my last post from my test results. i had about 8 or ten flights with exactly this setup and it flies pretty well all the time. the only change was the load, but the logs i posted are made also with load. anyhow i will continue testing and flying carefully. one thing left to look at are my esc32 settings maybe there is the culprit, here is a picture of my settings
esc32_old-calib-130316-cut.jpg
ESC32 settings
esc32_old-calib-130316-cut.jpg (194.32 KiB) Viewed 12100 times
i changed Advance to 25, Motor Poles to 24 and Max Current to 20, the rest should be default.

Michael
Lindbaergh

Postby chschmid » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Oh, I did not know that you have been flying it since the crash.
Did you check that all ESC32 have the same values?
Otherwise I have no clue.
How do the logs (mot 0-7) look in successful flights?

I once had a crash in the beginning with no clue. (maybe a lose prop).

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby LPR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Michael

If you're not sure that the battery was not low I would blame your control problem on it. I have run my A123 down to 8 volts a number of times and I often have the same type of control problems that you had. Sometimes the octo will just settle slowly and level but if I do a large attitude change I get it trouble fast.
Really great to hear your octo is flying well most of the time.

Larry
LPR

Postby Lindbaergh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Larry
i can not tell if it is the battery or not, it is pretty cold here at the moment and the quad stays in the unheated cellar over night, and before i start it take some time to bring stuff outside, adjust the gimbal and start the camera. so it could be as you say a reaction to low battery.

Cristof
the log's http://www.flugbaerchen.de/lnkimg/aq6/050-AQL.LOG and http://www.flugbaerchen.de/lnkimg/aq6/051-AQL.LOG are from successful flights after the flip, the http://www.flugbaerchen.de/lnkimg/aq6/049-AQL.LOG is the one with the flip.
i just checked every esc on its own, and converted back to the first set of calibration parameters. because i have difficulties with uploading to all esc at once, i do every esc on its own. so i'm pretty sure the all have the same parameter and firmware.

i will report back after the weekend there is a lot of time for testing and flying around, so wish me luck that i came back with a bag full of nice videos :).

Michael
Lindbaergh

Postby chschmid » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Your motor logs of the successful flights look as they should look. A good idea to reload the calibs by hand. I could not use the ESC32.txt on sunday to load all ESC's and had to do it by hand too.
Good luck on the weekend.

Your battery in the crash log is fine. Have a look at Vin. You used a fully chaged 4s pack. Voltage during flight was ok.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby Lindbaergh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:47 pm

i think me and the esc32 don't become friends :).
i spend the hole weekend with testing and replacing parts but i cant make it stable. i have two esc32/motors nr.1 and nr.5 that shuts down randomly when the throttle get around 90-95%. and that's the reason for the flips.
i replaced the motor and esc nr.5 with brand new parts including the complete cable set. it works for some flights and then suddenly the esc is shutting down again. i tried different calibration's with 14-20 amps, both runs work, but when i start the esc is shutting down at 90%+ throttle. i changed the ports at the aq board to see if there is a problem but it stays the same. also lowering max current between 14 and 20 and advance without luck.

because i run out of time, ideas and trust in esc32, i think about buying some sinonk esc now, and hope they doing better. what do you think about this one http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-NFET-HEXFE ... Firmware_1 ?.

Michael
Lindbaergh

Postby chschmid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Checking your setup I am not sure if you exceed the ESC32 limits. Most ESC have a max commutation of 240000.
You use 14.8V * 740KV @ 24poles = 262848 max commutations. Maybe Bill can answer the max commutation of the ESC32. That would explain why the ESC shuts down at almost max throttle.

Best
Christof
chschmid

Postby LPR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am

Michael

I have posted this before for others who have trouble calibrating the ESC32. I had a lot of trouble with disarming ESC32s.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're using the QGC method of calibrating ESC32 here is some more information to make it a little easier to use.

You do not usually have to calibrate the ESC32 if your motor and prop combination takes less than 20 amps. To have maximum performance calibration is necessary

After many tries to calibrate with the windows QGC I found it does work but a few things have to be done a certain way.

1. Flash the ESC32 with the newest firmware.

2. Set the calibrate amps a little lower or at the maximum amps your motor will use with your prop and battery.
Don't bother setting the Max amps in the upper right hand corner till after you calibrate.

3. Now run the calibrations. If the motor stops while making an odd noise or loud noise you should run the calibration again with a lower calibration amp setting.

4. After calibrating both the RPM and the current limit you must recycle the power to the ESC32. Make sure you unplug the main power to the ESC32 first and then the MC if it is powered separately.

5. I close the QGC, then plug in the USB, then connect main power and then restart the QGC.

6. Now set the Max amps at the same setting as you had for calibrate amps or less, but not higher.

7. I find you can test the calibration by starting the motor and then increase the RPM by moving the slider and then click on "Set RPM".

8. If the motor will jump from start to full throttle without disarming the ESC32 has been calibrated with a low enough amp setting to not disarm in flight.

9. If the motor stops when testing, recalibrate at a lower calibrate amps and test again.

Your motor will draw more current if you fly in very cold and dry air. If you don't fly in cold weather using an amp setting the same as the motor takes at maximum throttle should work ok and give the fastest change in RPMs.

Larry
LPR

Postby Lindbaergh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 am

Larry

after another evening of testing im pretty sure that i have a timing problem. i calibrated with 14 A which is the lowest possible value i think because the manufacture of the motor states the motor needs 13.7 A with the battery/prop (4s/13x4) combo i use. so lowering it more would mean to cut of thrust. but when i raise the throttle quick from zero to full the esc32 disarms sooner or later.

so i take a turnigy plush 25 A from one of my other copters and put it to the aq. i do this mainly to proof the motor is not defect. the result was an running motor that want cut off no matter how wild and fast i play with the throttle. and it is running with much more power because the plush esc is a 25A type.
that make my think it is a problem of timing parameters between the mt-4006 and the esc32. i fear that without the proper equipment and knowledge i wont be able to fix that. so i put the esc32 aside and hope i can use them in some 'future projects' with maybe more 'compatible' motors.

anyhow i like to thank everybody for the support and suggestions here, that helped me a lot to find the problem.

Michael
Lindbaergh

Postby Lindbaergh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:35 am

so after Larry put me back on the right track, i think the esc32 is back in the game :).
i take these 13.7A that the manufacture of the motor has written in his data sheet as a given size that i have to use in calibration. in fact that was the completely wrong starting point, and i restarted from scratch.
first i measure the current at full throttle. the result is around 9A not 13A. so i set the esc32 to default settings and calibrate it with 8A, after that i set max current to 8A and motorpoles to 24 and that's it. i have done a lot of tests on my workbench now, and it looks good. i put the throttle channel of my tx to a switch, so i can go from 0% to 100% throttle in no time, and even that wont make the motor stop. as soon as i have time i will continue testing and fly under full load.
Last edited by Lindbaergh on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindbaergh

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion