[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4791: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4792: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4793: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3916)
AutoQuad Forum • View topic - Position of GPS antenna <-> AQ

Position of GPS antenna <-> AQ

For everything that doesn't fit into the other (sub-) forums

Position of GPS antenna <-> AQ

Postby arachnida » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm building my first AQ quad and I'm wondering if the position of the GPS antenna needs to be right on top of the AQ FC or not. I want to move the antenna as far away as possible from my GoPro as it produces a lot of noise.

In the NAZA setup there is a displacement (XYZ) value to be entered in the settings for the GPS, but I guess that is only needed because the compass is also in that antenna module.

Any advice?
arachnida

Re: Position of GPS antenna <-> AQ

Postby Max » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 am

GPS isn't so precise that a few inches/cms would matter. To cut interference, don't neglect a groundplane/shield as recommended in the AQ docs.

-Max
Max

Postby arachnida » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 am

OK, will place it at the back then, only problem is that the GPS connector is at the front and bottom of the AQ. My shield is already soldered. I took the one from FlyDuino , I'm a bit lazy to make my own. Only have to drill a bigger hole in the shield as the GPS plug can't pass trough. Frame is a HT Flip.
arachnida

Postby arachnida » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

Doesn't matter anymore, GPS cable is way too short to put the antenna to the back, only to the front is possible, closer to my GoPro! :evil: :(
arachnida

Postby axelnied » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm

You COULD replace the existing (very short) antenna cable with the instructions Jussi posted:

Somewhere is the post he mentions that 20cm "is no problem"...

But I am not clear on WHERE you want to move your GPS to? Closer to the motors?
If your concern is the GoPro, then I would suggest to place the GPS on the groundplane you already have and then mount the GoPro underneath the copter. That way the groundplane will shield nicely from any EM influence located below the groundplane.

Also keep in mind that wires transmitting electricity always emit EM fields. Twist ALL wires:
- power supply from LiPo
- power supply to ESCs
- power to motors
- power to AQ
- servo cables to ESC
- LEDs wires
axelnied

Postby arachnida » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi alexnied,

Thank you for the suggestions and the link to Jussi's post that I somehow missed!

Moving the camera to the bottom is not really an option on the HT Flip FPV frame. My landing gear is quite low, just to clear the space for my LiPo. I want to keep my new GP 3 Black in the protective case so my only option is to put in on top of the bottom plate.

And maybe you are right that moving the GPS more to the back is not a place with less EM as it will be closer to the motors and LiPo that I use to balance the head heavy quad.

I'm now thinking of putting a small grounded shield behind the GoPro. Should I ground it to the GoPro GND or to the AQ GND?

Also I haven't decided yet where to put the ESC's (20A N-FET SimonK from Paul's shop). On the motor arms blocks the airflow but cools the FETs and moves them further away from AQ and GPS, but on the lower deck is cleaner and offers more protection in case of a crash.
arachnida

Return to General Discussion